ad: GNOHF-1

Looking for a speaker for your rig? Try these...

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC3RN, Jun 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pcb4bk-4-200-watt-mini-cube-speaker-pair-black--310-2008

I had been using a bookshelf type speaker previously. It sounded great for broadcast stations, but had a bit too much frequency response for communications audio. So I got a pair of these yesterday. A BIG improvement over the internal speakers in my rigs, with just about ideal frequency response. The size is almost a perfect match to my IC-746, so it looks cool too. Not quite as much bass as my bookshelf speaker, but in this application, that's a good thing.

The improvement in the sound of my FT-450D was startling. I like my 450, but the sound from the internal speaker is marginal at best. It now sounds pretty good.

I have an old Kenwood SP-230 that I use as my "reference" for communication speakers. These little cubes sound very similar to that speaker. Pretty good for $40 for the pair....

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

WoW. 200 Watts.

I guess you can connect them to the radio RF out. :p

3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

3RN: YOUR price is $37.40. What's MY price?
    Seriously, I tried several non-descript speakers. None really "rocked". I am space limited also. I rather stumbled across a speaker that MFJ doesn't "push" much and tried it. It's a bookshelf type, about 4X8 or so...really nothing special but looked nice. It's hanging on the wall and does the job with more than adequate fidelity. (I don't think it's 200 watts though...darn). This MFJ speaker is an import (no surprise there) and comes in a nice baffle, etc. It was better sounding than all the others I tried. BTW, no, I don't use a 24 band EQ or Heil PASD or what ever the Hell it's called...just wires to the external speaker out of my 3000.

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have used these speakers for a few years now on a number of rigs and receivers and they work very well. Check the price on Amazon.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

$24 on ebay, free shipping, no tax.

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

The MFJ is very similar to what I had been using - a KLH bookshelf speaker. The fidelity was very good. Too good, in fact. A little too much bass and treble, with a slight mid scoop. Sounds great for music, but puts voices and CW tones a little too far back. The Pyles have a much more flat response that allows voices to come out clearly and not buried in the mix.

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Parts Express for a number of items including speakers, TV receiving baluns, and RCA patch cords. Their prices are among the best around and the quality is excellent.

Glen, K9STH

WE6C, N4MTB, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  8. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Granted. I usually use headphones here (in an RV and to keep our marriage continuing) but I agree...if I used the speaker more I probably would see it's not really a comms speaker...but it did fit! LOL

KC3RN likes this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Best speaker I have ever come across so far has been vintage wood veneer bass reflex cabinets found at hamfests, antique radio club events, and locally via Craig's List. You find an appropriately sized full range paper cone speaker with an AlNiCo magnet to mount in it, usually 8 or 4 ohms, and you have a great shack speaker. I have five in my shack, that are Electrovoice Aristocrats or similar design. You open a port in the front baffle. Here's some examples: https://www.daytonit.com/Electro-Voice_Aristocrat/Electro-Voice_Aristocrat.htm but any bass reflex cabinet of decent size will do. I recommend 12 inch cones, 15 inch if you can find them.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Best sounding external speaker is the one you make yourself. Of course, that's another thread. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    KA0HCP likes this.