Looking for a small portable cheap HF rig, any recomendations?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3SJQ, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahah...look who is preaching.

2. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

You should tell everyone about your financial interest in getting people to convert to qrp. Just like a tent preacher. Hiding the truth.

3. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're looking for a small cheap radio to set up portable, and then tell us it's all about the antenna? Are you planning on hiking a beam out to the field with you? Not exactly a portable antenna.

4. KB9BVN

I thought he said he wanted lightweight, cheap, and portable. The 720 weighs almost 20 lbs without a power supply. Right?

5. KB9BVN

QRP isn't for everyone. Just like SSB isn't either. I'm hiding nothing. The guy asked for a cheap, lightweight, portable HF rig for $180 or less. Every rig I mentioned fits the bill. If you don't like QRP, or can't make it work, then don't use it.

Join the QRP ARCI and get our Quarterly Magazine and you might be surprised at how inexpensive, and fun QRP operating can be. If you don't like CW, and don't like building stuff, this is probably not for you.

Keep on preaching, preacherman!

6. KB9BVN

Hahahah...hauling a beam out to the woods...now that's funny...oh wait...did you know you can make beams out of wire? I have a multi band dipole that rolls up into a zip lock bag and weighs under 5 oz. It can be deployed in the field in about 15 minutes. End fed wires work very well too, you can sling those up even faster. Don't forget about loops either.

You don't NEED a beam to make a few QSO's.

7. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, QRP is like signing up to get a clubbed foot or hair lip. It just doesn't make any sense.

Why don't you tell us about the Altoids tin radio, that's also small, light, and useless.

8. KE7TBB

KE7TBB Ham Member QRZ Page

the best beginner rig

is the icom ic-718 the price has come down on alot of them. has excellent performance 10-160 all mode 100watts 24/7 (200 w/ the mod) been out since 2000. the thing is bullitproof. Oh did I mention that a five year old can run it!!! not complicated at all. save your pennies and get a used one for 200-400$ i share one with dad and im 15

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. KB9BVN

Like I said before Preacherman, we're all entitled to our own opinion. No matter how wrong it might be.

10. KC8YTY

KC8YTY Guest

Yaesu FT-840

Yaesu FT-840........ Can find one here on QRZ or Ebay

100watt Rig.........Good little Rig.

$200 - $400

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.