Looking for a small portable cheap HF rig, any recomendations?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3SJQ, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends in what he is looking for. $450 for an all mode 10-160 meter rig is a pretty decent purchase!

2. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is fine for someone who is looking for a challenge or loves CW. But, lets not sell it like religion. There are some serious downsides to QRP for the new ham.

You're not going to get through too many pile ups.
    You're going to call CQ a lot and get ignored due to a weak signal.
    QRP SSB, ha!
    If you buy a 5 watt radio you can never just crank it to 100 watts, but if you buy a 100 watt radio you can always back it down to 5 watts for QRP.
    Operating QRP is imposing a self handicap on the air.

3. N5NPO

N5NPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Look for a good Kenwood TS-140S. I have seen them go for as little as $250.

4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree...but he wants cheap, small, and portable...and all for less than $180.00

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahah...well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I virtually never have any problems finding a QRP QSO.

The guy said he needed CHEAP, SMALL, PORTABLE....for less than $180.00 - I gave him some working options.

6. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for reminding us of what we all already know.

You want my real opinion. QRP is a loser situation. It's for guys who what to brag about being QRP, and claim all this worked DX with nothing. If this were high school the QRP guys would be the band kids that think being in the band is a really cool.

Encouraging someone new to buy a QRP radio is like telling them "waste your money on this crap and you'll get fed up with the hobby in no time and move on to something else". After a few weeks of struggling to make contacts they will start to ask why am I doing this? Next they will be packing up and selling off their HF stuff and staying on repeaters.

These QRP guys are just like tent revival preachers - offering false hopes.

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Older ICOM radios like the IC720 are in this price range but very old and the 720 has a flaw in the band switch motor.

8. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Chill out!!!
    I already have both a qrp and a 100 watt rig.
    Im just looking for something that I can take with me to a local field and stick a dipole in a tree and work a few stations here and there.

9. KB3SJQ

Even something just for 20 meters would work fine, QRP or not.

10. KB3SJQ

It all depends on your antenna!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.