ad: vanity

Looking for a multi-band vertical. Home brew or Kit if i have a tuner?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K6DBO, Mar 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K6DBO

K6DBO Ham Member QRZ Page

There's so much out there for antenna solutions. I would really appreciate some help.

Here are the bands I would like to work: 15, 17, 20, 40, 80
    (Yeasu ft-891 with LDG z11 pro II tuner)

I have looked at some all band kits including the super antenna mp1 and Hustler 5BTV. I have heard great things about both of these, but is it pointless to get an antenna like this if I have a tuner? Homebrew is always an option, but I can not elevate more than 10 feet off the ground (ground elevation at my shack is already
    920 ft/280m above sea level). Ideally, I would like one antenna that could do all of these bands but I am open to all suggestions.

Am I wasting money by getting one of these high tech antennas for use with a tuner? Should I just build my own?

2. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll suggest looking into a Scprpion SA-680 or Hy Gain Hy Tower if you have the budget; no tuner required for either. Check out the Home Antennas section at Scorpion and some of the semi-custom installations pictured in the Gallery, too.

Jeff

3. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While doing your research, don't ignore something like this much simpler alternative (if you have the distance):
    https://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010-2k/

Or if you never intend to run power, this will save you some money:
    https://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010/

Very happy with mine - hung between two trees at about 35 feet.
    Works fine, all bands (except 60), fed with coax, no tuner necessary (although a typical 3:1 rig tuner will help), easy to deploy, No Radials, almost invisible.
    Suggest using with a good HF common mode choke about 0.05 - 0.08 wavelength (or maybe 15-20 feet) downstream from the feedpoint (not right at the antenna).

4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, your tuner is at the wrong end of the coax.

If you could use a remote (weather-proof) tuner right at the base of a non-resonant vertical (ideal length 43ft+- 3ft) standing on sufficient radials, then a simple home brewed vertical monopole (made from 6 or 8ft long aluminum tubes with progressively smaller diameters, see DX Engineering) will work well and tune all bands from 80m to 10m.

If you try to tune that configuration from the shack-end of coax cable, depending on coax length, the losses on the coax make this unworkable. The Swr50 looking into the non-resonant vertical is all over the map at the various bands.

A commercial multiband vertical solves the problem by presenting a low swr50 in each band, so the coax losses are small. An in-shack (or in-rig) tuner makes the antenna more useable at the band edges, but the heavy-lifting is done by the design of the multiband vertical.

Please tell us how high a mast (conductive or not) you are willing/able to erect? The question is motivated by the requirement that a non-loaded 80m vertical is 67ft tall. One for 40m is 34ft tall.
    Don't forget that the ends of the radials for an 80m vertical require a circle that is 130ft in diameter. Do you have room for that?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020