Looking for a group

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7FHH, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't think there were any. Shows you what I know :oops:

I'm in love with 6 meters, all I have for it is a delta loop and I rarely ever hear anything at this locality

2. KG7FHH

KG7FHH Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it to, you should check out some of the 6m repeaters. i can reach about 40 miles out to one of the farthest ones. Its great fun when there is someone on the other end to talk to. the only contact ive made on one was around 2am lol.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any in or around Longview? That's quite a punch for me because of the hill to my immediate east, being in the little town proper. We're around quite the corner of dirt from each other but weirder things have happened.

On edit: Chehalis might work between us

4. KG7FHH

Give KB7APU a try or W7AIA the others I cant remember where they are at. I usually use about 25 watts to to get through to them.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I will have to look into it tomorrow as far as details go and see if my 40m vertickle will load there since the loop is down and I'm in surgical recovery. It should work and if I can get a signal in I'll let you know so we can chew the rag on 6. That will be fun for me in a couple major ways. First, it will be my first 6m contact as well as the first repeater contact anywhere since '05. Ok, balls in my court, let me see what I can get. I'm pretty sure we're both going north to make this work. I hope you have some gain! 73, Eric

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

You said vertickle and balls in the same paragraph. Is that how upper class talks now?

WZ7U likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the moustache wax talking

No courting of balls insinuated :eek: :D

W4IOA likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Andrew, here's what I've been able to make work up given the parameters of our locations and so on. Of all the repeaters in our area on 6m, I can access (kerchunck with ID if you must) only two. I had a qso with two wonderful gentlemen on the Timber repeater and so that popped my 6m cherry. I always wanted it to be on SSB or CW, but hey it felt great! I haven't had a thrill like this in at least a decade, so I'm happy with it. I know, weird. All this on a 40m vertical, ground plane style with the base and radials at 20' sloping to around 8'.

Here are the details -

Timber, 52.85, 107.2hz, -1.7 split, KR7IS, nearly due West of you. This one you may not be able to get, but it heard ME, which being in a hole shocked me silly with an S8 signal. It's apparently part of a linked system almost completed so I think this would be a great one to get around the state with.

Baw Faw, 52.93, 100.0hz, -1.7 split, K7CH. nearly due North of you up the I-5. It is probably 60 miles away but it has elevation, making it a good candidate for our connection. It's signal is a little weaker, but I have no fear of it not functioning. Probably our best bet although it would be nice if Timber worked only because the two fellas I chatted up seemed really into it. See my qrz log for details.

So dude, even with all this healing I'm supposed to be doing I worked it up for you. I'm just one guy on your computer screen so maybe we can interface with the folks on those repeaters and start something. It's not SSB, but it's something. In the future I will see if I can load up for 10 and try the Monday night net.

OK, I need to go rest up and let the pain meds catch up then I really want to go try a little SKN on 40. I found the paddle but I need to dig out the straight key and embarrass myself a little. Yay!

AF7XT and W4IOA like this.
  9. W7ROX

W7ROX Ham Member QRZ Page

When I lived in California, I loved the 6m repeaters. I haven't heard anyone here in Washington use them. Andrew, I live north of you near Bellingham, in the country. I don't know that we can reach each other, but I'm willing to try.

10. KG7FHH

Im monitoring the timberline one currently. Ive had it programmed in my radio for awhile now but just forgot, same with the other one. W7ROX it might be a bit harder for us since were about 250 miles apart but im willing to try anything.

W7ROX likes this.