ad: M2Ant-1

Looking for a good source for RG-8U coax

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC1ADT, Jul 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KC1ADT

KC1ADT Subscriber QRZ Page

I am specifying components for some club go kits, (transceiver, sound cards, laptop computers, antennas etc.), and am trying to compare coax. I am looking for 5-100' and 10-25' sections of RG-8U with PL-259 connectors attached. I have looked at DXE and ABR with their proprietary products and stumbled on 2 amazon suppliers using Amphenol connectors and coax made by Alpha Wire at 57% of the other suppliers. I am familiar with Amphenol but not Alpha Wire. Everything traces back to Alphadistributor.com in Puerto Rico. You know what they say about things that are too good to be true. Anyone familiar with AlphaDistributor or Alpha Wire RG8U products.

WD5GWY likes this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I know we hams like to find bargains but good coax /feedline is something that should never be scrimped on. Why not get Belden or Times Microwave and install the connectors yourselves? Once you learn that skill you'll always be glad you did. The Wireman is one source, there are many others besides the Amazon cop-out...

Jeff

K0UO and KP4SX like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alpha Wire is a high end manufacturer of long standing, comparable to Belden. For my production work, I always specified either Alpha or Belden wire and cable.

Their products are carried by reliable distributors like Allied, DigiKey, Mouser, Newark.

KP4SX likes this.
  4. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you mention needing a number of different length cables, why not simply make your own?
    Simplest to use are the crimp type, where only the center conductor needs to be soldered.

If you're just starting out, HRO has a nice (but on the expensive side at $90) crimp kit in a case with everything you need (other than soldering iron):
    https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013442

Or just purchase the individual crimper tools:

The "G" model at $23 is for smaller coax, like RG-8x and LMR-240:

The "K" model at $40 is for larger LMR-400 and Belden 9913 size:

Of course, HRO also sells the crimp-style PL259 connectors and bulk cable, as do many other suppliers.
    I like to add a piece of marine heat shrink tubing on the back to act as a bending/strain relief - but that's optional and up to you.

There are plenty of YouTube videos with easy to follow instructions.
    Making your own allows exact lengths and will save you money in the long run.

KP4SX, K0UO and AK5B like this.
  5. W6QW

W6QW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to make your own cables, I recommend DavisRF. They stock Belden, as well as other manufacturers. Good quality and service.

AK5B likes this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Get some of their Polystealth antenna wire while you're there---also good stuff.:)

7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out some of the LMR400 types I have found good brands at .$50 per foot on 500 ft rolls/ better and than RG8 too
    get a set of Simplest to use are the crimp tools, DX eng or HRO

8. EI7KS

EI7KS Ham Member QRZ Page

A more modern equivalent is RG-213 , perhaps easier/cheaper to buy.

Frank , EI7KS