Looking for a general or extra YL or XYL to elmer a YL to pass her license

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE2HS, Jul 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE2HS

VE2HS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone would be interested to assist a YL to pass her technician license. She lost someone in her family that was very dear to her and would like to preserve the memory of his callsign. The family would really like to keep the callsign in the family.
    She has about 6 months to pass her technician license.

I could help her myself but being a Canadian ham, everything is pretty much different here. Besides, I believe a YL/XYL would be preferable as she could associate to her more easily and to the hobby.

If anyone would be interested in serving in that way, please kindly communicate with me either here or at my email address which is ve2hs@gmail.com.

Thank you so much in advance and best 88.

Pierre, VE2HS

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Posting here won't help unless you say where she lives.

From your post, I assume the YL is in the USA? Have her contact her local VE team for help...they can direct her to someone who can help. Whether she is in the USA or Canada, a visit to the local radio club will no doubt also result in people pointing her at an Elmer or formal class.

VE2HS, WJ4U and N2EY like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

The YL forum seems to me to be a good place to ask too.

VE2HS and KU4X like this.
  4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Pierre,

She will also need to keep in mind that she will need to obtain the class of license of her deceased family member if the call sign is restricted to one of the higher class of licenses. (Boy, that sounds convoluted!)

As an example, if the call sign is a 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 format (Groups A & B), she will need to obtain an Amateur Extra license. With a Technician license, she can obtain a 1x3 (Group C) or 2x3 (Group D) call sign. And there may also be some geographic restrictions as well. Her Elmer should be able to sort all this out for her.

Wishing her good luck, and thank you for helping her out.

Regards,
    -Bruce

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the most important thing we need to know right now is where roughly is she located? What state? We can't really answer until we know that.

6. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I’m just going to say it right off the bat. If all she wants is to “preserve” the memory of her family members call sign just take the practice test on here and other websites until she consistently scores in the 90s. Also she will have to apply for his call sign after she is issued hers. Unless he had an advanced or extra call sign then that’s a whole new can of worms.

Knowing the general area are she lives and age might help thin the heard of prospective teachers. A young lady could range from 1 to 18 years old.

7. VE2HS

Yes you are right Bruce. Thanks for pointing this one out. No it's not an issue for this one. It's a 1 x 3 call... or are only the 2 x 3 available to technicians?

8. VE2HS

She is in Nevada and is a 10 years old YL. Thanks

N5PZJ likes this.
  9. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning Pierre,

Good news...Technicians can hold a 1x3 (Group C) call sign.

Regards,
    -Bruce

10. VE2HS

ah great! Thanks for replying ever so quickly Bruce.