Looking for a CB radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE5TOY, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

on planet the Tralfamador, maybe. on earth - not for the last 30 years or so.

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Is it worth finding out the hard way?

3. W7ND

W7ND Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Very similar to the one I had in my van, although you could detach the cable and add a battery pack and antenna to make it a hand-held. Lasted through several vehicles and was handy back before you could use a phone for looking up traffic info.

5. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Clip that diode and they're coming to get you.

6. W4FAW

W4FAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Cobra 29STWX in my truck. Invaluable for long trips. Have gotten info on radar traps which saved my butt a few times as well as traffic info which you are looking for. Not the smallest radio - but they do have those all in the Mic ones which may work for your needs as well.

7. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ignore old Channel Jumper there. He is notorious here and has been banned from MANY other forums. He doesn't have a clue what he is talking about usually. Ignore the Troll.

8. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^^^This^^^^^^ Well said!

9. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A Joke

WOW !!! :eek:

The FT-8800-R is FM only . My FT-8900-R is FM only .... It is NOT a Glorified CB radio !

We now have an Extra pounding his breast plate ... How does he know all about these CB radios ???

Could be He might have been a big time 11 meter operator Ya think ? .... Let's see :

Amateur Licence KB3VQZ - 08-28-2012
    Went to Extra as AB3NK
    Grabbed Vanity WD3D ( after one of my friends DIED - Hamilton , Ohio ) ....

Shows to go you that his EXTRA is a joke . :mad:

Good for ( use your imagination ) KASOB last name will be on the amateur bands as a wizard for years to come .

Attitude exists already . Great stuff...

I DO have an 11 meter radio still in a BAG ... I purchased it at a hamfest for $ 10.00 .. I do not have an antenna for it yet .

When traveling, I think that 11 meters might be a good thing ( for traffic information ) . I do not know yet ..

Years ago , 2 meters was alive and well . Not so much anymore .... I will BUY a mag-mount for travel ..

OH..... I am a new amateur too .... 1961 ...

J.

WØJBC, KBØTT , NØAGS , WBØVBL and calls before that ....

Fun Stuff in the old days. Mobile HF was fun .. Not now ...

While on the road , I listen to Sirius-XM .... Not to newbie trash ..
    It is not worth the scramble ...

WD3D et al ....

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For awhile I had one of these Cobra 18WXSTII in my SUV, basically for the same reasons you mention. Inexpensive and fairly small. I hardly ever actually listened to it and never actually transmitted. Audio sucked. And even though small just took up valuable space in the car. Eventually I got rid of it and got one of these Cobra HH38 WX ST walkie-talkies and keep it in the center hump storage compartment. Just pull it out when I need to find out what is going on on the road. I keep a mag-mount antenna and a accessory power power plug-in in the trunk in case I need to actually use it seriously.

I've had a 2m ham radio in my car for about ten years. I've think I've had about 2 or 3 QSOs with other mobiles while traveling during all that time, and one of those was with an aircraft mobile. And not many more QSOs with fixed stations, either. I would never expect or rely upon ham VHF/UHF to be of any use for emergencies while on the road, unless I happened to be near a major city with a wide-area repeater during rush hour or perhaps Sunday mornings.

Interesting that if you have an smart phone, just about anywhere you can get a signal, and if you can get a signal you can get real-time traffic maps from Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.