Looking For a 2 Meter and 70cm All Mode Rig, No HF Included.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2WH, Aug 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately it is a LOT more effort to put a beam at 70 ft than at 25 ft. I doubt that you'll ever have more than a tiny fraction of active hams who have 70 ft towers. That's just the way it is.

It doesn't help that the VHF and up bands come alive during contests and then go dark again. Obviously anyone who can work me during a contest could work me any other time, but they aren't there. It appears to me that most VHF+ ops are primarily contesters. Nothing wrong with that, but it limits the utility of VHF SSB for those who have liked to rag chew.

2. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious, Steve. You have worked a lot of people on VHF weak signal over the years. How many of them had 70 ft towers and huge beams? How many had modest stations like a mast with a 9-element yagi? The massive stations can reach out farther and work more people, but logically, I would expect there to be a lot more modest stations out there to work, even if they're weaker. Do you see a pattern of a few strong stations and a lot of weaker stations? Or were the modest stations just unworkable beyond 150 miles, so you never heard them?

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with the FT-847 have one here for satellite work it's a great rig and extremely reliable. You have a very key factor.....LOCATION...the other as WIK points out a real good antenna system while maybe more important on VHF/UHF would apply on any band.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The "big guns" on VHF literally all had towers, often very big (100-140' was not at all uncommon -- I remember W3MFY's 120' self-supporting tower with huge VHF beams on it, outside of Philadelphia.. "antenna here is a pair of 15 element Telrex yagis at 147 feet" ...but the tower and big beams stuff was the common element for just about everybody who was "serious" about VHFing) -- but that was also back in the days before CC&Rs and HOAs were commonplace. Nobody I knew lived in one, or with any restrictions.

Some not only had big antenna systems but also lived on hilltops, which made it even better!:)

But those of us with the big systems worked hundreds of hams with much smaller systems, and they'd often be, "Holy cow! I can't believe you're in..." wherever it was. The "heavy lifters" do the work, and contacts with them can be enjoyed by all.

Kind of like EA3JE in Spain on 20m SSB right now...the band can be just barely open but he comes blasting through. It's not power, it's antennas and location.

Yes, I think the pattern was (and still is) some very strong stations and a lot of weaker ones, but it's fun to work the weaker ones.

I also think the "difference" between the large, high systems on VHF-UHF vs. HF is much larger on VHF-UHF. A 20m dipole at 30' might only be 10 dB down from a 20m beam at 70' at the same location. But a small beam at 25' vs. stacked beams at 70' on VHF-UHF can yield a bigger difference, more like 20 dB; maybe more than that when you're way over the horizon for the "lower beam" station.

Since everything on VHF-UHF except "FM" is all "weak signal," it's an appropriate description -- signals really are weak. If every signal I hear on 2m was 10 dB weaker, I wouldn't hear many stations. But on 20m, if every signal was 10 dB weaker, the band would still sound very active!

N5WVR likes this.