ad: w5yi

Looking For a 2 Meter and 70cm All Mode Rig, No HF Included.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2WH, Aug 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH I'm Up, I'm Awake What more do you want ? Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have this desire to get back to 2 meter SSB and only 2 meter SSB.

I was going to buy a new Yaesu 991a that is for all intents and purposes, a DC to light rig but I have enough HF gear, FTdx3000, 765pro, 751a etc.

Just want a SSB rig for 2 meters and 440.

Any out there ?

2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

NH7RO likes this.
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

There are plenty of secondhand 2m SSB Transceivers . . . often available very cheap, as there's so little VHF activity on sideband these days.

But I don't know any that cover 70cms too.

Roger G3YRO

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much "new," but I have an FT-736 (bought it new in 1987!) which "stock" is a 2m/70cm all-mode rig...sorta. It does not run AM, but is very good for SSB, CW, digital and of course it does work FM if you need it to (I rarely use it for that).

It's a very good rig and there's a lot of them out there. I see them selling used all the time.

The 736 has provision for two internal band modules in addition to the ones it comes with, so you can add 50, 222 or 1296 MHz (just two, not all three) to the rig if you want. The modules are actually transverters, but they install inside the rig in about 15 minutes and once installed, the frequency display reads correctly for the band you're on. Slick radio. They sold a lot of them, I have no clue why they discontinued it -- although it was on the market at least ten years.

I also have an IC-9100 (just purchased two months ago) which is HF+6m+2m+70cm all modes and runs more power: It's 100W PEP out on 50 and 144 MHz, and 75W out on 432. So, it's more powerful than the 736 and has DSP features.

IMO, the trick to working stuff on 2m SSB isn't as much the "radio" as the antenna system. When I was in NJ with stacked 16L long-boom yagis at 75 feet on a tower, I constantly worked from Nova Scotia and Maine down to North Carolina, and inland to KY, TN, OH -- every day on 2m SSB. Often, locals would wonder if I was talking to myself as they didn't hear any of that; I'd always say, "put up 32 elements at 75 feet and you'll hear it." Didn't take great equipment at all, just good antennas.

NH7RO likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood TR-9130 is a decent 2m SSB/CW rig that I have used for several years.

But other than the same bunch of locals over and over and over, especially during VHF contests, there isn't much activity around here.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WB2WIK

That is the common story!

The goal is: Put up really big antennas, very high above the ground, so the "locals" become 300-400 miles away. Then, there's more activity.:)

When I was writing the "VHF" column for CQ magazine 1984-1988 I posted photos of my antennas, as well as those of many other "big gun" VHF-UHFers, in those columns. I'd drive hundreds of miles to interview the other guys, and the common thread was always "antennas."

At one point in 1986 I had 544 elements up on two towers just for VHF & UHF. I still have photos of that. I'll scan them and post them on Monday. When your "horizon" is tremendously expanded by antenna height and big beams, it's amazing how much activity there seems to be.

But, you do have to be a little bit nuts.:p

NH7RO likes this.
  7. K2WH

8. K2WH

I'm at 1200 feet here in NNJ and I was at one time on 2 SSB using an FT-847 but sold that and flipped the beam vertical.

I was working consistently a few hundred miles without any real enhancement.

I got the itch to get back on 2 SSB.

NH7RO likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I had an 847 and it's a good rig to use for 2m SSB however I later decided I liked the FT-736R better.

For one thing they are capable of covering 4 bands in the VHF / UHF band spectrum by installing different band modules including the 220 MHz and 1.2 GHz band. Secondly they are a lot like using a full featured HF rig, but on VHF/UHF bands instead.

There was a point in time these were considered to be the "top of the line" VHF/UHF rig on the market. There's still many of them still being used even today for good reason.

More info: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hammulti/ft736r.html

KC8VWM's FT-736-R...

IMAG01471_zpsk6rqqbvf.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    NH7RO and SA6CKE like this.
  10. WB2WIK

Bigger beam up higher above ground and it would have done even better!

I was at 1230' asl in NNJ in Mt. Olive Twp. for seven years and the elevation advantage was obvious, especially when beaming out over Budd Lake, which was fairly large and 300' lower (and just down the hill), but still even there "antenna height above ground" made a Yuge difference.

With my beams at 30 feet, everything was good. Crank it up so the same beams were at 70 feet -- wow. Can't even describe the difference.