Looking for a 120v Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K6BFL, Feb 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, this is K6BFL. I am looking for a amplifier about 250 or 300 watts that can run on the regular 120v circuit. If anyone knows of a type like this please tell me. I am looking under 1000 dollars. Thanks

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Heath SB-200, Ameritron AL-811 or AL-811H. Just load up to full power and then reduce the drive to 250-watts to 300-watts output.

Glen, K9STH

W7UUU likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What are you going to drive it with?

If you have a typical 100 watt transceiver, going to 250 - 300 watts is usually not worth the investment.

NG0L, W7UUU and ZL1ON like this.
  5. K6BFL

Yeah thanks everyone. I have a ft991. I will look at some of the links. I havechecked out the Ameritron AL811 and it is nice so I may go with that. Thanks and 73

6. K6BFL

Also sorry about the 250- 300 watts. I meant above 250 or 300watss. Thanks I will look into all of these

7. K6BFL

Lastly are you sire that the SB200 is a 120v amp?

8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The SB-200 can be wired for 120V or 240V. I run mine wired for 120V operation.

9. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And for a few dollars more (QUITE a few), the Elecraft KPA500/KAT500 mates to the FT-991A seamlessly, including auto band selection via CAT cable (or auto-sense) and makes it a 500 Watt radio. Plus, its available as a no-solder kit. Fun and easy to assemble. I use this combo with a FT-991

10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRZ servers went "opera intermissa,"

You had some good questions and answers. IIRC:
    Steve WB2WIK poimted out that the Ameritron amps have a modern keying system that your radio will drive.
    Ameritron amps also have 160m, and the "Y" version is for export. When you get a new one in Murca, you cut the green wire inside to enable 10m.

The SB-200 needs a couple of things to make it friendly. A Soft Key is easily installed and necessary to keep from killing the amp keying transistor in your radio. This is about an hour to load the little board and maybe another 2 to install it. Good suggestion by one of the regulars here but I don't remember who...

https://harbachelectronics.com/shop/heathkit-sb-200-sb-201/sk-201-soft-key-keying-interface/

I would also recommend getting the power supply board although Bryan WA7PRC will chime in saying that it is much cheaper to find the capacitors at Mouser or DigiKey.

https://harbachelectronics.com/shop/heathkit-sb-200-sb-201/pm-200-replacement-power-supply-module/

I like the circuit board and have put a couple of these into SB-200's. Works fabulously well.

Glen pointed out that 3 or 4 811A tubes make for an amp capable of 400-500 watts output and to not overdrive an 811 amp. Good advice IMO. 811's are a bit fragile but plenty capable if treated with respect. 872's in the SB-200 can take a beating (accidental or otherwise) as can a 3-500 in the AL-80b.

That's about what I remember.

Want some quick action without mods or repairs? AL-811, AL-80b in the tube dept. Sordid State=KPA-500, or ALS-600 (actually a nice choice mentioned by the pilot of a what looks like a nice 172 to me in his avatar, who's call escapes me now. I'll remember about 3 minutes after the dreaded 30 minute edit window closes... CLS?)

SB-200? That's a nicely robust, inexpensive amp that can be a really good performer. I've got one that's a screamer. Great amp. If you get this one, be prepared to do some work on it like replacing the electrolytics and installing a soft-key board if this hasn't been done. The T/R relay needs to be cleaned. All in, 2-3 afternoon's work. Easy if you know how to handle tools.

All of these amps will run at 120v.

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019