ad: BilalCo-1

Looking at several antennas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ4RT, Jan 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been looking at getting back on the air and have been eying several antennas all would be used with tuner. 1- 7 band OCF NI4L 2-Radiowavz 40 meter double bazooka and 3Rd is Radiowavz 80 meter dipole with 1:1 balun. My question is multiple part, which would be best for use on all bands, does anyone have any expierence with any of these and lastly if so what results could be expected. My goals would be local nets and some DX'ing but, the main aim is just getting something up in order to get back on the air.

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

The majority of "all band" antennas are a considerable compromise, in general. Why not build a couple of dipoles for two or three bands that you like the best? Right now, 20-30-40 and 80m offer the most opportunities considering the current state of the solar cycle.

KG7QJB, K9CPO, AI3V and 1 other person like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or...feed an 80m center-fed dipole with ladder line or window line, use a good balanced tuner, and just use it.

What's more important is how it's deployed (installed and arranged).

Such a dipole installed between the tops of two 120' towers located 130' apart can work extremely well!:) Same dipole at 20' above ground -- won't.

WA8FOZ, K2CAJ and N7BKV like this.
  4. KJ4RT

My best height for my property is probably going to be around 30' at the center and probably would be installed as inverted vee.

5. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd probably go with one of the two suggestions above depending on how the cable run back to your shack works out and whether you own (or plan to own) an external antenna tuner.

- Either a balanced feed line fed doublet cut around 55' long to cover 40m, 30m, 20m and higher frequency bands
    - Or a set of parallel dipoles (aka fan dipole) covering 40m and 20m or perhaps 40m, 30m, 20m fed with coax.

I probably wouldn't worry about 80m right now as an 80m dipole (or doublet) is a lot longer and not that great an antenna at a max height of 30' you'll do better with the other bands (especially 20m and above) at that height.

The doublet makes sense if you have a pretty clean run for the balanced feed line from your shack to the doublet feed point, ideally pretty much straight up to the feed point or at least not running parallel to one half of the antenna if possible. That and you have a good external antenna tuner as you'll need it with a doublet.

The fan dipole makes sense if you don't have a direct path for the feed line from the shack to the antenna or you want to bury the feed line or just prefer to run coax. You also shouldn't need an antenna tuner to run a fan dipole.

Either antenna can be run as an inverted-V.

6. KJ4RT

I already own the AT 500 watt version that mates to my IC 735 so that is not a problem. I just will not accept anything but coax.

7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then I'd recommend an inverted-V fan dipole covering at least 40m and 20m as a good way to get back on the air during these solar doldrums. If the bands wake back up that antenna should also work on 15m with a bit of help from that tuner. You could add 30m support if you like to run CW but it may not be worth the hassle as 30m is close enough in frequency to affect the tuning of both the 20m and 40m bands so it will likely make final tuning of the antenna a bit more fussy but you can certainly make it work if that band is important to you.

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have over 5000 contacts on my 36' high 160M inverted L . Line loss is pretty low on that band, so I use an tuner next to the radio. When I ran a maximum of 100 watts, I used an autotuner mounted at the feedpoint to use it on other bands.

NH7RO and WB5YUZ like this.
  9. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Alpha Delta DX series parallel dipoles do rather well. No tuner needed. You'll have to check their website for the bands you want.
    The DXCC works most bands 80M & up (except WWARC if I remember right). It is loaded on 80M, so narrow banded, but the other bands are fully covered with no tuner.
    Also, they use real center insulators & not RF lossy electrical PVC.
    Excellent quality.

Ed

W9KEY likes this.
  10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

15. 12. and 10m are of limited usefulness right now, and will be for a couple of more years.

If the goal is "local nets and some DX'ing but, the main aim is just getting something up in order to get back on the air," and the height limit is 30', I know what I would do. I would put up a 20/40/80m fan dipole, with "stingers" on it to give enhanced 15m coverage when that band finally comes back, and an inverted "L" for 40 and 80m.

Use the fan dipole on 20 and 15, and for local/regional net work on 40 and 80, and the "L" for DX work on 40/80m, and I think you will enjoy being back on the air.

I know it's two antennas, but they're both easy to build and so it shouldn't be too much of a burden to build both.

And, you will probably have to go the tower/beam route to get a significantly better signal out on the bands for which you do have coverage.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    K2CAJ and NH7RO like this.