Looking at rotators- is there a bulletproof model?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NG9F, Mar 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This would seem to be an easy task- find a highly-rated rotator. But when I read over e-ham reviews there doesn't seem to be a standout. I don't have my tower yet and haven't decided on an antenna but I would like a rotator that is "future proof" and will be able to turn whatever I put up there, including a massive 40 meter beam if that is what I decide on. I might end up with a 40/30 cubical quad though. I'm thinking about a Green Heron controller as they seem to be reliable and well thought-of.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? <--see what I did there? :)

2. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I can align your thinking... :cool: I've been thinking along the same lines, David. I'm leaning toward one of the Hy-Gain models because of the availability of spare parts and how many are out there. Yaesu rotators seem to require going directly back to the company for any issues or parts. I currently have an old Wilson that works perfectly, but I don't trust and there are no parts available, so I'm hesitant to reinstall it, that's why I'm aiming to buy something new.
    If you spend too much time researching, you can end up spinning in the breeze and become disoriented...

NG9F likes this.
  3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only rotor I know of that isnt going to eventually "quit" on you is an "Arm Strong" rotor. Of course, they have disadvantages too...

W1TRY, NH7RO, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  4. K4ZA

K4ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are serious about 40M Yagi, then there are very few options. The big Prosistels, maybe an Orion (depending on what 40M antenna
    you eventually choose), or a prop pitch motor. All of these can utilize a GH controller, which is a vy good choice. I trust you have also
    given thought to the tower itself? I, myself, would not expect even the largest Yaesu to withstand the rigors of holding/turning either a
    big 40/30 cubical quad or a fullsize Yagi. GL

NG9F likes this.
  5. NG9F

Thank you K4ZA- funny how the word "Prosistel" shows me lots of my kind of toys!!! So would you say that a PST61D should cover me for most anything, or do I need to bump it up? I live on a small lot right now but at some point in the not-too-distant future there will be a new QTH coming. I don't want to buy this thing twice- I've done that enough in the hobby and it only costs me money in the long run. Buy once, cry once.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. NG9F

Or maybe not. I see Vine Antennas is out of business now- the UK distributor of the Prosistel. Also seems like they have quality control problems- you either get a great one or you have a crazy heavy rotator to ship back to Italy:

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/559?page=1

Maybe Orion is the answer...

7. NG9F

Orion doesn't seem to a be quality standout either:

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/251

So there isn't a solid $2,000 rotator out there that I can put up and forget about for many years? I guess this is why people buy crank up/down towers!!! :)

8. NG9F

OK, found this site:

http://www.k7nv.com/proppitch/

No way this is gonna be $2,000. How much money am I looking at? Maybe I just need a dipole! LOL

9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can drive out and take down someone's tower I'm sure they are really great deals available. Older hams are at the age where they ought to be making serious decisions about their estate.

10. KK4YIV

KK4YIV Ham Member QRZ Page