ad: ProAudio-1

Looking at 40 meter Propagation using WSPR and a EFHW Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Nov 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4XO

VK4XO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, I cannot see that the OP presented this as a "News "article. It is currently labelled as a "Video" on the QRZ home page and does not appear to be clickbait of any sort. It seems to provide exactly what is in the title.

Anyway, to each their own and, with the three videos presented in this article receiving in excess of 7,500 views combined, it would appear that there is interest in the content.

All the best everyone, stay safe.

upload_2020-11-25_9-18-34.png

Peter VK4XO

Attached Files:

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, it was originally listed with a "News" tab. Apparently it has been changed to the "Video" tab.

3. EA2AAE

EA2AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 8 is better than wspr for testing our dx distancie. Just go to psk reporter and ask for your signals, that are reported by a lot of people running ft8 ( like me) I can see where my signal has reached and S/N level. And..... on real time. I can see if australian satations are hearing me, so i can go to qrz and see the antennas he is using ( not everyone) so i have very precious information.
    Ok, i am not 24 hours running ft8, but there are more reporters than in wspr.
    Wspr is perfect for comparing antennas. Just put 2 signals on the 2 antennas (at the same time) and see the results.

Attached Files:

4. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I get on FT8 and make a CQ to see how far I'm getting out. This morning I got on 30 and found I was being heard in both Europe and Japan! There are spotters for FT8 all over the place on pskreporter.info so you'll know where you're being heard anywhere in the world.

5. W8JH

W8JH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try to get it above the fence ;-)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  6. N9SWR

N9SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a close set up like yours and have the same wishes. If I could rotate my yard it would be great. The lower end is on a 40 ft push up pole and the high end is 75 ft telephone pole. It works great. Mine runs about 10 deg off of North/South.

7. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

The discussion on the EFHW was interesting and welcome but for a detailed and concise description of its theory, practical construction and behavour I haven't found anything better than WA7ARK's presentation:

http://hamfest.w7yrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/EFHWslides.pdf

My next homebrew project. I've collected all the bits needed for the EFHW that Mike describes and just need to connect them together. :)
    73 Jeff

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    KA0HCP likes this.
  8. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Ken,
    Also consider WSPR receive-only on 136 and 474 KHz.. Grab your longest wire or vertical antenna and place your internal or outboard tuner in bypass mode for max noise, and decode overnite. 73, n6spp-cm98