ad: elecraft

Logging Software

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by M3PHP, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. M3PHP

M3PHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Right everyone what you lot use for logging your qsos when your on the bands working your pile-ups full of nice DX stations.

I currently use Ham Radio Deluxe, since the start of this month before i used to use Winlog32 and for contesting I use Win-Test a really great program and much cheaper than Writelog although doesnt beat the free price tag of N1MM's fine application.

Pete, M3PHP

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is an interesting topic for two reasons. Number one is the fact that the computer is almost a required tool now for hams to have in the shack, or atleast most of the young hams I know use computer logging when on the bands. Number two is the fact that young hams don't have the money to go out and purchase very expensive logging software.

I have tried numerous applications for contest logging. I used Winlog32 for a while on an old IBM Thinkpad and that worked well. However, my favorite logging application for the contests is JL Log. (http://www.qsl.net/w1jq/) which includes man contests. Over the last few months I have been using YFKlog as my general logging software. YFKlog happens to be written by a college student who started ham radio when he was younger than I. If you are a Linux, Mac OS X, BSD, or FreeBSD, or any other Unix user than you can get YFKlog at http://fkurz.net/ham/yfklog.html. Also for the WIndows users, if you have a spare computer, you can set-up the computer to run Slackware or some other flavor of Linux and set it up as a server in which you could access from your windows machine or any other computer.

So yes, logging software is awesome, and IMHO the free ones are even a better true value.

3. N3CA

N3CA Ham Member QRZ Page

DX4WIN is what I use for general logging. I used to use N3FJP's ACLog

For contests, I use Writelog

4. K7ALY

K7ALY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using XLog for Linux, it works relatively well. Import/export ADIF and it's grapical. Not as fancy as YFKLog, but it gets the job done.

5. 2E0GYD

2E0GYD QRZ Member

good old fashioned paper log here!

the only computer software i use is for the psk31 contacts i worked, the software is part of digipan, its very useful as i operated psk31 with my old call M3GYD then i upgraded to my current call, when somebody worked me before under my old call i can say that ive worked them before and give them the date, time and band i worked them as i can search for the callsign easily.

but the main log is a paper one.

73 de Rick 2E0GYD

6. M3PHP

M3PHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick, I dont think my wrist would cope with paper logging [​IMG]

For digital stuff i use MixW works great i've found.

7. AD5UT

AD5UT Ham Member QRZ Page

I wrote one for a science fair project, it works ok, but I still have some bugs to work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.