ad: k1jek

Logging Software

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD7SIO, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KD7SIO

KD7SIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Heya, me with more questions again [​IMG]

Well I have spent most of the day researching logging software, ones that are controllable by my radio (FT-100D) and ones that aren't. I have read my share of reviews.

But I still wanted to ask peoples opinion. What do you all use? What features do you prefer? Do you pay for a program or just use freeware?

I don't really know what one I am going to use yet, but I have some idea, anywho, let me know your opinion

thanks

--Dave

2. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Currently I use Excel. I'm not a "big gun" (yet) so it's good enough.

I also use DXKeeper (free) for contests.

However, some members of my DX club use DX4WIN which is nice.

What you want to look for in logging software is the ability to export to Cabrillo and ADIF format so you can use Logbook of the world. Many of them do that.

Some also support printing of labels for QSL's and they can also generate reports of how many entities you've worked etc.

Radio control I don't see as that big of a deal unless you are hopping all over the place and want the frequencies to be sent to the software from the radio.

3. K7DLX

K7DLX Ham Member QRZ Page

N3FJP software is not only the best, IMHO, but it's very inexpensive.

And once you buy it, all subsequent updates are free. Not only logging software, but contest-specific software is available as well.

And you can buy all his programs for one low price.

I am not affiliated with Scott and Kimberley, but have been using his programs many years, and am very satisfied.

4. LA3YNA

LA3YNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Ham Radio Deluxe. Free and very good software.

logging, rig-control, psk, mark all contacts on a worldmap, dx cluster, automatic callsign check against QRZ' database, easy to QSL and e-QSL..

http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/

5. VE9SY

VE9SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Logger32. Does several digital mades right in the logging software, plus it's free.

But I'm currently experimenting with N1MM logging software which is also free.

6. KE1DX

KE1DX Ham Member QRZ Page

DxKeeper is really great. I spent a fair amount of time researching the very same. It's also free! The guy who designed it was very humble and deserves a handshake. Try it and I'm sure you'll lile it.:)

7. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

I'm using a homebrew software on FreeBSD now.

Back in Windows times I used LuxLog and also Logger32, both which are excellent and free programs.

For contesting I am mostly using the good old CTWin or N1MM, also both free.

There is no reason to throw away a lot of money for excellent logging software, while I can understand that people spend some money on quality products like WinTest. (And the money you pay for WinTest doesn't go to the author's provate purse, it's going to the radio club which maintains FY5KE!)

I don't understand the hype for N3FJP's programs; I have yet to meet a top-scorer in a contest to use it. Some people may argue the software is so easy to use for beginners, but I guess every 6-year-old can get along with CTWin, WinTest or N1MM just as well. Apart from being completely bloated, with separate software packages (each about the size of a full WinTest install that does dozens of contest, excellent SO2R capabilities etc.) for each contest, it also has shows some braindead behaviour, like not allowing to work dupes.

YMMV.

8. KD7SIO

KD7SIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am checking out DX Labs as we speak, If I'm not satisfied I will check out N3FJP

Thx again

9. N1ESE

N1ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I use DXKeeper and really like it. It's part of the DXLab Suite and is free. Support is awesome, Dave is on the support reflector all day long it seems like.

It's extremely powerful software and may take a little getting used to, it did for me. But, once you get used to it it's not so overwhelming.

10. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using DXKeeper, part of DX Lab, for general logging. It's very powerful. Not perfect, it doesn't do everthing exactly the way I want, but good enough.

My second choice is the logger in Ham Raio Deluxe. It doesn't do as much as DXKeeper, but it is simple to use. The entire Ham Radio Deluxe package has an excellent user interface.

For contesting, I use N1MM. After the contest, I export the contest log to ADIF, massage it with a text editor (vi) if necessary, then import to to DXKeeper.

Someday, I'll have the time to write my own logger that functions exactly the way I want it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.