ad: elecraft

Logging Program Question

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KF5RYJ, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KF5RYJ

KF5RYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

And crap again. I installed DXView successfully. Tried to run it. It gave me a "missing file" message. And now it won't let me terminate the application so I can try and install DXK again.

2. KF5RYJ

Crisis averted. So far, LOL. Working to setup DXKeeper.

3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does that mean that the Launcher completed its installation of DXKeeper and that you have DXKeeper running?

To your earlier question, Commander is a windows application, just like DXKeeper and DXView. It performs transceiver control on behalf of all other components of the DXLab Suite. If you want to immediately disable transceiver control, click the X button in the upper right corner of Commander's Main window, and Commander will terminate; components of DXLab that remain running will be unable to control your transceiver or obtain its frequency, mode, split, etc. until you restart Commander; the most convenient way to do this is by clicking the Cmd button on the Launcher's diminutive main window.

4. KF5RYJ

DXKeeper is now running. I don't know why it took me four times to try to install it, but it's OK now.

WOW. What a CRAPLOAD of features! I never knew that logging programs could be this freakin' detailed!

But...DXView still will not run. Keeps giving me a missing file message. Also, will not turn off (button remains blue on DXLaunch) in the 10 tries or whatever. Takes about five minutes to turn red. I'll run it again and try to post the error message window for you.

5. KF5RYJ

DXView Error message attached.

ERR.png

6. AA6YQ

I release 10-20 feature-bearing releases of DXKeeper each year, and yet DXKeeper's enhancement list continues to grow. Amateur radio, and DXing in particular, offer many opportunities for automation.

What file does DXView say is missing?

Is there an errorlog.txt file in your DXView folder, please attach it to an email message, and send it to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

7. AA6YQ

On what version of Windows are you running? If on Vista or Windows 7, try starting DXView once with "run as Administrator"; this will overcome Windows permissions that don't allow an application to register a component.

8. KF5RYJ

Did that. DXView opened up this time. But, my QSOs don't show up on the map. Is DXView supposed to show all logged QSOs or just pinpoint a spot/recently logged call?

9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

DXView just shows the spots collected from the cluster.

.............Bob

10. AA6YQ

That's not true, Bob.

To display all QSOs in DXKeeper's Log Page Display on DXView's World Map, click the Plot button on the "Log QSOs" tab of DXKeeper's Main window.

You can filter DXKeeper's Log Page Display before clicking the Plot button, for example to show only QSOs logged during February, or only QSOs logged when the Solar Flux exceeded 100, or all CW QSOs. After plotting QSOs on DXView's world map, you can filter them by DXCC award progress (unworked, unconfirmed, confirmed, and verified) using the Plot panel on DXView's World Map window.

Click on any entry in DXKeeper's Log Page Display, and DXView's Main window will display location information for that QSO, and DXView's World Map Display will display the actual location and signal path.

DXView doesn't just plot the location of active DX stations, it plots the locations of the stations spotting those DX stations and the signal paths between them. This provides a real-time view of propagation that you can filter by band to see what's open from where on which frequencies - like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.