ad: w5yi

Logging Program Question

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KF5RYJ, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's dangerous to draw conclusions from a sample size of 1.

What transceiver are you using?

Dave, AA6YQ

2. KF5RYJ

KF5RYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, doesn't really increase the probability of discovering any statistically significant findings. Unless you treat n=1 as N=1, because in that case we can infer the results to the population in question...because the entire population was sampled, even if the population is one person. Yay! Stats talk! My students hate it when I do that. LOL.

Yaesu FT1000 MP MK V. Great rig as far as I'm concerned.

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unless I'm mistaken, that rig has a RS-232 port designed for CAT control! You can hook it directly to your computer and have no problem allowing your logging program to read the frequency! There are *SO* many cool thinks this allows you to do that I don't know of any reason you wouldn't want to.

..............Bob

4. KF5RYJ

Yes, but then the questioning begins: Is there an interface application from Yaesu? Or is integration accomplished in the logging application? Is the CAT cable simply USB-USB, or is it serial-USB? How much memory is required? Is there a lockout feature? Ease-of-use in logging program for CAT control (e.g., operating split requires how many steps)?

Maybe it's fear of the unknown, or just a general hatred of change and progress. I'm the type of guy who buys the same brand, style, and size of pants in different colors.

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You know, for the price of a plane ticket . . . .

Are you sure ham radio is for you?? Part of the fun is jumping in head first and seeing what comes up. I mean, you can't KILL anyone so it's pretty safe. :)

I see that some folks have built their own super-duper "isolater" to "filter" "stuff" between the 1000 and the PC. Google is your friend there, but I'd personally skip that as it is probably overkill. I mean, if you're REALLY worried and don't want to build your own, buy one of the gazillion TNCs (like a Rigblaster) and hook it between your PC and rig.

If it does have a RS-232 port, that would be a COM port and requires a DB-9 serial connector. There are billions of serial cables out there that will work. Don't have a COM port on your newfangled computer?? Get a USB to COM adapter cable, but stay away and I mean STAY FAR away from anyone of those fellows that uses PROLIFIC chipsets. Trust me on that one.

Hook the darn rig up to your PC using said cable (either serial or USB, assuming you need a USB - get the correct adapter cable. Did I mention to stay away from PROLIFIC chipsets?) and see what COM port it gets assigned to. Your logging program (if it's like HRD) will let you PICK your rig, com port, port speed, etc during the setup of the software and you will be off and running. Maybe.

There are many areas where one can go wrong, but it really is not that hard. If you understand Microsoft Access databases, it should be nothing for you.

Trying to get things to work is what makes this hobby fun!! Now go get that serial cable and get working!!

..............Bob

6. AA6YQ

Yaesu does not provide transceiver interface applications. In DXLab, one component -- Commander -- provides transceiver control on behalf of all other DXLab applications, as well as on behalf of the many applications with which DXLab interoperates: MultiPSK, FLDigi, MixW, CW Skimmer, MMTTY, MMVARI, MMSTV, 2Tone, and DM780. Direct the Launcher to download and install Commander, configure it using these step-by-step instructions, and you should be off and running.

The CAT connection is RS-232. You can connect your transceiver to a standard RS-232 port, or to a USB-to-serial-port-adaptor. See these step-by-step instructions.

You can run the entire DXLab Suite with Windows XP and 500 mb of RAM, but most ops use 2 GB. Commander's share of that is modest.

What do you mean by lockout feature?

In Commander, checking the split box puts you in split frequency operation. There are also +1, +2, +5, and +10 buttons that when clicked, enable split and set your transmit VFO to the specified offset above your receive VFO; depress the CTRL button while clicking one of those four buttons, and Commander will enable split and set your transmit VFO to the specified offset below you receive VFO.

DXLab's DX spot component, known as SpotCollector, maintains a local database with one entry for each active DX station. As DX spots arrive, Spot Collector uses the information they contain to update this local database. This includes parsing each spot's "notes" to determine the most recent split offset. So when you double-click the Spot Database Entry of a DX station operating split, SpotCollector will direct Commander to enable split, and will set the transmit VFO to the most recently spotted QSX frequency. DXLab has provided this database of active DX stations -- and many functions that exploit it -- for more than a decade. No other amateur radio application provides it.

7. KF5RYJ

Lord have mercy. Now I know what my students feel like when I say "homoskedasticity" and try to explain that "simple" concept. Greek! Greek to me! LOL! Dave, by lockout I mean a function that disables rig control instantly. Bob, I like building and experimenting, I built my first two antennae. This stuff, though, is giving me a headache. Will report back after this weekend when I try DXKeeper. Thanks to you both. You've been a lot of help.

8. AA6YQ

If there are terms or phrases with which you are unfamiliar, cite them and I will explain. Every problem domain has its jargon.

Yes: simply terminate Commander.

9. KF5RYJ

Ahh, it's just the port/CAT stuff. I'm going to give DXKeeper a look this weekend and see if this ol' dummy can navigate it. Thanks again Dave.

10. KF5RYJ

Well crap. Dave, I just downloaded DXLaunch and followed the instructions to install DXKeeper. The "download" window appeard, showed that DXK was downloading, and then said it was installing DXK. The OK button never became active. The DXK icon never appeared in the task bar. Is it normal for DXK to take more than fifteen minutes to initialize and then run?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.