Logging Program Question

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KF5RYJ, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5RYJ

KF5RYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen numerous "What is the best logging program?" threads. I think there's no good answer for that.

QRZ, eQSL, and LOTW are great for matching QSO information. However, they're not really logging programs. I've tried HRD, but it wouldn't work correctly. I think this had something to do with me telling it that I didn't want to use the rig interface.

I'd like a logging program that tracks countries worked, by band and mode, and will interface with LOTW/eQSL in order to upload/confirm QSOs.

Simplicity is a plus, but my main concern is finding an intuitive way to immediately view countries worked/confirmed. Something similar to the way Club Log presents QSO/QSL information.

Any suggestions?

2. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

HRD Logbook will work fine without the rig control program, you'll just have to manually select the band/frequency for each QSO. That said, what particular problems did you have?

Also, check out N1MM's Logbook, DXLab Suite (and use just the logbook).

3. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KF5RYJ

It's been so long ago, I can't remember what the error message was. I just deleted HRD and never looked back. I like the fact that HRD has a spotting node, and the fact that it updates LOTW and eQSL automatically. I just couldn't get it to run! Maybe I'll try again.

I've heard about DXLab and DXKeeper. I hear good things about it. It's on my "try" list.

I may take you up on that. I'm still "shopping." Right now, I use a paper log (and will always log on paper...just something about it that I like). Then I enter QSOs into eQSL. Then export ADIF. Then upload to QRZ. Then to LOTW. That was OK when I was on the air 1-2 hours a weekend and only had 10M to work with. Now, the volume (and number of DXCC entities) is getting tough to track by paper.

What features do you guys like about your logging program? Anything really sexy that stands out?

5. KF6ABU

HRD is good for that. Install the LoTW app on the computer if it is not already, HRD will do LoTW AND eSQL upload and download for you at the push of a button or automatically.

I will help you if you need it.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I like HRD for following DX totals. See the partial screen shot of what one can get. I can see totals for all bands, click on those to see what is actually worked and what is not . . . pretty cool! This is version 6 BTW.

Attached Files:

• DX.jpg
      DX.jpg
      File size:
      244.8 KB
      Views:
  7. KF5RYJ

By LOTW app, you mean the TQSL package?

8. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Give DXLab a try; it's interoperation with LotW, eQSL, and ClubLog is quite strong. For example, DXKeeper updates your logged QSOs to indicate acceptance by LotW (after uploading) and to indicate confirmation by LotW (when your QSO partner uploads a matching QSO). DXLab has many unique capabilities; see http://www.dxlabsuite.com/differentiators.htm . DXLab is entirely free.

Dave, AA6YQ

9. KF6ABU

yes. If you can upload and download lotw on that computer already, you are all set.

10. KF5RYJ

That pic is the first step of what I'm looking for. It's a summary report. Is there a detail report available listing DXCC/states worked/confirmed by band?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.