Logging in

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4ILH, Aug 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do I have to log in every time I close QRZ.COM? Did I change a setting somewhere? I am a member and have been checking in to QRZ for well over 10 years and never had to log in every time I open it unless I was inactive for a day or more.
    Tom WA4ILH

2. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I may have answered my own question. I just checked my profile and my subscription had apparently lapsed. Gotta send in some dues.
    Tom WA4ILH

KU4X likes this.
  3. AF7ZA

AF7ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm ? Dues to stay logged in ? I don't have any subscriptions and stay logged in, unless I had my browser set to clear cookies or I manually log out. YMMV.

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have your browser set to "delete cookies" when your browser shuts down, THAT may be the answer. Otherwise, I have the same thing happen sometimes: I can log off, and a couple of minutes later, I need to log back on, although my user name and password are still stored (presumably, in my browser) and then my login is good for days or weeks afterward. Sometimes I can log on with a different computer (at a different location) and still be "logged on" automatically, even a day later; other times I need to go through "login" again.

But check your "cookie" settings first. (Of course, since I :eek:toss my cookies [so to speak:rolleyes:] once a week in many cases, I DO have to log back in the next time I visit QRZ or many other sites.)

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, membership has nothing to do with it. It's all in the cookies. On a regular basis, I selectively delete some of my cookies. I leave the ones around that allow me to log into certain web sites. Most of the ones that I delete, I don't even recognize. I assume they got there from the advertisements that get past my ad blocker.

I only connect to QRZ for 15-30 minutes at a time. Usually in the early morning and then after lunch (and nap). I read and post to everything I want, and then discard the QRZ view tab. My browser is set up to open a Google search window when I create a new tab. On that search page I have a button configured that takes me directly to QRZ and logs me in. So that's just two mouse clicks and I'm ready to go. When I'm done, I just delete the view tab. If I waited for a week, to connect again, I would have to provide my login and password.

I do the same thing with eHam, but eHam works a bit differently. Connecting works the same as connecting to QRZ. It's just another button on my search page. Normally, I see myself logged in and I can navigate the forums. But if I don't physically log out and back in for a week, the forums switch to read only. All of the post and reply links go away. Even though it still shows me logged in and my account is accessible. That's easy to fix, as I just log out and right back in. Then everything is back to normal, for another week.

FYI, eHam uses old forum software which uses HTML Frames. HTML Frames is depreciated and is no longer supported with HTML5. As I move around the screen, my mouse movements can sometimes stutter or not respond at all, when I move in and out of the frame area. Scrolling often changes focus. While this is very frustrating, I have figured out how to eliminate these issues.....

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's pretty much MY experience, and "cookies" are the main culprit. But sometimes I can be signed on every day for a week or more, and then the next time I come back, on the same day, I may have to log in again. At other times, I can go to QRZ on a different computer (in a different location) a day later, and STILL be logged in.

I just haven't been able to determine a pattern, if any. Fortunately, my browser on each computer DOES remember my callsign (user name) and password, so it's only 2 or 3 extra rodent clicks; a mere slight inconvenience, if that.