Logger for POTA chasing?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KC3RN, Jan 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

For POTA chasers, what logging software are you using? I've recently started chasing parks, but I've been logging the contacts in Log4OM, my main logging software. It works, but it doesn't track the parks. It just logs them as a regular contact. Any suggestions?

2. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The freeware DXLab Suite's SpotCollector component accepts spots from up to 4 DX Clusters, the DX Summit Web Cluster, and local instances of WSJT-X. It uses the information in these spots to maintain a Database with one entry for each active station. SpotCollector recognizes POTA codes (like K-1875) in spot notes. Consider these spots of N5BO earlier today:

2021-01-25 16:51 de W4JL 14,324.0 : WWFF KFF-1875 FL
    2021-01-25 16:52 de N5MKY 14,324.0 : FL K-1875 55/MI
    2021-01-25 16:53 de K9GLM 14,324.0 : POTA K-1875
    2021-01-25 17:00 de AC9WQ 14,324.0 :
    2021-01-25 17:24 de W6GAE 14,324.0 : POTA K-1875 FL

The Database entry for N5BO specifies that this station was

• first spotted at 1651Z and most recently spotted at 1724Z
    • operating on 14,324 in SSB
    • spotted from stations in eastern (W4JL) , mid-western (N5MKY, K9GLM, AC9WQ), and western (W6GAE) regions of North America (referencing a database that contains the "home location" of all FCC-issued callsigns)
    • in POTA K-1875
    Directing SpotCollector to filter the Database with the expression

POTA='K-1875'

would display the Database entry for N5BO, and for any other active stations spotted as operating from that park.

Filtering the database with the expression

POTA in ('K-1875', 'K-8089', 'K-3031')

would display the Database entries for all stations spotted as operating from those three parks.

DXKeeper is the logging component of the free-ware DXLab Suite. You can configure it record a POTA code with each QSO, and generate a POTA progress report, as described here.

SpotCollector and DXKeeper provide similar capabilities for SOTA and WWFF.

If you're interested, see Getting Started with DXLab.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  3. AE2T

AE2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been importing them into Logger32. I have a custom field for the Park number. I don't know of any that track awards, but the data is in there.
    I just found a User Defined Contest template for N1MM+ I might use that in activations for the fast and furious logging.

4. G4POP

G4POP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Log4OM provides full support POTA, SOTA, IOTA and many other awards, see the user guide and YouTube tutorials or seek help on the log4OM forum

Here is one of the various POTA UI's

Untitled.jpg

5. AE0Q

AE0Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ACLog by N3FJP keeps track of the parks you work, you just use one of the OTHER fields. There is an excellent video on configuring the entry order and screen layout to be POTA (and WWFF of course) friendly, and it still works for any other daily contacts.

And if you get the full package from N3FJP you will have specialty log programs for all major contests and radio events.

Glenn AE0Q

6. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just checking the forum in curiosity...

I've written a logger specific for POTA. PyLogJam. It is designed to be as absolutely minimalistic as possible, so you can run a pileup as fast as you can type callsigns. You don't have to think about your logger so you can devote your efforts to thinking your way through the RF traffic jam!

It runs on Python so it probably can run on most anything. Personally I use it on Linux on a small laptop. You can find a little info and pictures on my QRZ page. GPL license, so it won't cost you anything. If you are interested in using it, contact me through my email. Of course, if you want to donate, PLEASE contact me through my email! - mostly kidding; I'm not soliciting donations.

PyLogJam produces an ADIF file in the current naming convention used by the POTA uploaders (Thanks to them for testing and working with me!). So you can just email it to them, submit through LoTW, etc.

I haven't actively promoted it yet, but I think it is pretty bug free at this point. Actually this is probably the first really public announcement. I've tested it quite a bit, and used it in 37 activations so far. There are a few things I intend to add when I get around to it, such as a sanity check warning when the mode of a QSO isn't compatible with the band plan based on frequency. Current version is 0.3, but it has really been through lots of development. I should probably just change it to 1.0 but I want that warning in first.

If you want lots of fields, lots of complexity - use something else. If you want as absolutely minimalistic as possible and super fast and easy to use with nearly zero learning curve, this might be the logger you are looking for.

Gerald KE4ET