Locator / DXCC logging software

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by G1VVP, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G1VVP

G1VVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondered if there was a simple software application which allows you to cross off locators and DXCC entities - something for easy record keeping / reference.

Thanks

John
    G1VVP

2. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen grid maps for the USA you can download and print to check off that way. Logging software like ACLog usually can keep track of those things as well as several others, states, counties worked etc.
    Easy to find something printed to use but not use specific software so far as I know.

If you scroll down about half the page there is an Excel DXCC list but it is no longer supported so will not be up to date;
    http://www.telusplanet.net/public/telwest/ve6lb.htm
    Since DXCC changes from time to time it can make things difficult to keep current.
    In the logging programs you have to get updates and sometimes change the database for DXCC yourself for new prefixes being used new entities and such. Not hard to do though.

If I were using paper logs then I'd use paper tracking.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. G1VVP

K7MH - thanks for the URL.

I am surprised there is nothing of this nature. I would have thought it more commonplace. No wonder I could not find anything. I tell a lie - I found just one programme called Ham Atlas which would have allegedly done the job. It was written in German which would not have been a major problem - a grid is a grid, etc., but the software failed to run after I installed it.

Thanks anyway.

John
    G1VVP

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think any logging program is good for this. I use Ham Radio Deluxe 5.x and it is great at keeping track of all awards, QSL's, etc.

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Most any good logging program will allow one to filter contacts based on what-ever criteria you want. That can be as simple as asking the program to tell one how many grids one has worked or how many DXCC entities worked.

Is this what you mean??

.............Bob

6. ZL4AFM

ZL4AFM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a program called Worked Grids v6 which does exactly what you want and is free, by VE2ZAZ.
    I also find it amazing that the top packages like HRD and DX view go only so far but stop at gridhunting by using a map. I understand that DX Atlas will also do this but is not free.
    Good Luck.
    Roger.

7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Locic8 will do all you want and much more you can set filters for everything even when something comes up that you need on what band you need it on. It is intergrated into spotting programs as well and you set alarms whem one comes up that you need and even mode if you like.

The only draw back it is not free as with most things you get what pay for.

You can check it out at hosenose.com you also get phone support or email most of the time 7 days a week by the person that wrote the program.

8. G1VVP

Thanks to your suggestions I think I have found the programme I was looking for. Worked Grids v6 seems to do just what I want. It's simple and should tie in nicely with HRD. I just need to configure the two now. :eek:

I have always been considered very computer literate, but when it comes to setting up programmes like HRD and linking this to my IC7000 and Signalink USB, plus any additional software like Worked Grids then I seem to come unstuck.

It is my plan to automate a good part of my setup in this way but I still need some help with a few things. A couple of hams from the local club have offered to help with this.

I am more than happy to pay for useful programmes and I really like the sound of Locic8, but I will give Worked Grids a try first as I think this will be all I need.

My current logging system is a little cumbersome as all my loggings and grids, etc. are stored in an Excel spreadsheet. It's definitely not the worst system in the world but, like I say, I hope to get a good part of my setup fully automated in due course and I will stop using Excel for my loggings.

Many thanks all and 73.

John
    G1VVP

9. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

You know the routine we all follow, when you get stuck ask on here!

10. ZL4AFM

ZL4AFM Ham Member QRZ Page

John
    HRD Log package is very good but I haven't been able to automate it with Working Grids V6. So every week I just open WorkedGrids and import from HRD as they both cater for ADIF.
    I'm hoping that Simon Brown of HRD will automate the grid system; The Mapper program under HRD (it's not obvious but it's in the HRD directory) is an excellent mapping program and even has the software to automate the link to the HRD logger but in V5HRD it became broken and many of us are hoping that this will be one of the upgrades that Simon does when he has the time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.