ad: elecraft

Locating Two Antennas Close to Each Other

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4WG, Feb 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. W4WG

W4WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Would there be problems installing a 50' vertical antenna close (within 5') to a 70' tower with a beam antenna? Only one antenna would be used at one time, but my concern would be possible damage to the shack radios. Thanks for any help on this.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

50' vertical antenna to be used on what band?

5' is extremely close for HF work. I wouldn't worry about damaging radios, I'd be more concerned with how much the 70' tower will detune the vertical and cause its performance to be much less than stellar.

W4IOA, NH7RO and AC1CX like this.
  3. W4WG

W4WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply. The 50' vertical would be used for 40, 80 and 160 meters. The 70' tower for 10, 12, 15, 17 and 20 meters. Only one radio/antenna at any one time.

4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd put up a delta loop for 40 meter, off of the tower and shunt feed the tower for 80 and 160 meters.
    Barry

5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why on earth would you use a 50 ft vertical if you have a 70 ft tower?!

At least for 80 & 160m I would hang a vertical wire from the tower, just sloping away from it at the bottom - this is what most people with towers do !

You could make that an Inverted-L, and make up the quarter-wave length with the horizontal section (which wouldn't radiate much)

For simple dual-band operation, I would put an ordinary 80m trap (like you'd use on a trap dipole) at the 66ft point, then it will be resonant on 160 & 80m. (due to the slight loading of the trap, you'd also only need about half as much wire beyond the trap to resonate it on 160m)

Roger G3YRO

NH7RO likes this.
  6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Took a look at your fine QRZ photo; why must you put your vertical so close to the tower in the first place? Looks like you could put it further away but of course, appearances can be deceiving. Just curious.

Jeff

7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looked at w4WG's page. We're practically neighbors! 12 miles. Figure the odds.

NH7RO likes this.
  8. NH7RO

Roger that; maybe you guys should get together and see if a good solution is available. I think someone once said, "Two hams are better than one."

9. W4WG

W4WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the replies. Decided to move the new AV-18HT vertical to a new location 130' to the west. Have enough room here to install the necessary radials.

NH7RO likes this.
  10. NH7RO