Local QRM video sample- comments appreciated.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK6QMS, Aug 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Started a few months ago. Comes and goes. Usually daytime hrs. Sweeps slowly up and down 20m. Very wide band sig. bad solar system? Power grid? Anyone seen anything like this? Comments appreciated.

73-
    Clifford

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Power grid," I'd think probably not.

However it might be something within your own home, or a neighbor's home.

Have you tried operating your rig from a battery and turning off the MAIN (big circuit breaker) power to your home, to see if the noise is coming from something within your own home? Usually, that's the first step.

3. KK6QMS

Ya
    I have thrown the breakers and done a full check of home systems. Did find a single hard drive power supply that gave me 2 S Units of noise. This is new and not local to my own home. I will throw the breakers and test again soon- seems like a good annual practice!
    Thanks,
    Clifford

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a good and pretty easy practice, if you don't mind resetting clocks and stuff.

The noise could easily be from a neighbor, though.

Sometimes just walking around with a portable AM radio will zero in on the source (and sometimes it won't, but it's worth a shot).

5. KK6QMS

Tonight put radio on battery- all house breakers thrown- inverter powered off- but QRM persists. This test was even done at night so my idea it was solar system related seems unlikely.