ad: elecraft

Local Pick-Up, Cash Only

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N9LCD, Dec 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Many hams have the mistaken belief that selling equipment "Local Pick-Up, Cash Only" is risk-free. True, it eliminates the risk to the seller of not receiving payment for his gear.

However, it introduces a NEW RISK -- D.I.Y. US CURRENCY.

Before you sell "Local Pick-UP, Cash Only" ask yourself: "Can I detect counterfeit US currency?" "Do I want to confront a buyer suspected of tendering counterfeit currency?"

Remember: printing plates and printing presses are no longer needed to produce D.I.Y. currency. Law enforcement estimates that 80% of all counterfeit currency is made "at home" using computers, scanners, and printers!

Nothing is ABSOLUTELY risk free!

N9LCD

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the disadvantage of old world paper money.

Accept only Bitcoin.
    Wait for verification.
    Problem solved.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Bitcoin??????????????????

If you really don't use that "old world paper money", then just send it all my way.

4. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing in life is risk-free. However, face-to-face greatly reduces your risk of being ripped off.

5. KG5WLK

KG5WLK Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer selling items face to face. Confrontation is not a problem if you have another Ham with you. Especially if that Ham is LE.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Make the swap at your bank, and have them run the money through their machine before you give the guy your stuff.

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most police agencies around here recommend that you make a face-to-face transaction in their parking lots, or at the very least in a well traveled commercial parking lot with camera surveillance.

Know what real currency feels like and what it should look like including the shifting inks, watermarks, and security threads. UV flashlights and pens to verify currency can be had for as little as $8.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not sell anything is. :)

9. W8BBM

W8BBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely, I carry concealed but in cases like a large transaction I have carried open so my guess it that a guy originally trying to pass play money my way is going to find a reason NOT to offer his phony paper if I decide I want to check it. I would let him walk, get his plate, and then call the authorities. Not looking for trouble but also not accepting any either.

KG5WLK and KA2FIR like this.
  10. K4FX

K4FX Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy a marking pen that detects funny money, just like the banks and store use. They are available, every 7/11 depends on these with any larger bills.