Local Elmer needed - Lancaster County, PA

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by W3QE, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W3QE

W3QE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey,

I'm curious and serious about setting up a satellite comms system at my QTH for both FM and weak signal SSB work. As an engineer with a workshop and hopefully good build skills I think I can homebrew the SATNOGS rotator and controller, or a controller that will work with Sat tracking s/w. ( is this even worth the effort though ? )

I have been looking at buying either an TS-790, FT-736R, IC-820H, or IC910H --- hopefully good choices for the rig ( without going to the expense of SDR and transverters )..... Unless my FTdx5000 with transverters will do the job ( and how do I set it up ) ?

My issue.... This is a completely new area of the hobby that I know very little about, and I'm looking for an elmer that can guide me ( via phone ) and bounce ( pun intended ) ideas off.

Whilst I don't have oodles of cash to throw at this; at the same time I want to be a little more advanced than an HT with a handheld antenna.

Anyone willing to pick up the challenge ? If so, please do mail me at my registered email and I'll respond with my contact details etc.

Keith

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sending you an email shortly. I have no "base station" experience, but may have useful info.

3. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K3RLD

K4BAD's response was buried in the quote.

K4BAD likes this.
  5. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There might be some satellite operators who can assist at ...

http://w3rrr.org/

Are they close to you?

6. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rick WB3CSY is a very knowledgeable satellite operator who lives in Lancaster. We have made dozens of contacts over the years. If you want, I can write an email introducing you to him.

WD9EWK and K3RLD like this.
  7. W3QE

W3QE Ham Member QRZ Page

@K6LCS. I know some of the members there ( they are the other ham club in town ), and I don't know that they have members into satellite. Thank you though :)

@W5PFG Thank you, yes please!

8. K3RLD

Great talking to you, Keith! We'll have to set up an "eyeball qso" in the future.

--Roy

9. W3QE

W3QE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto Roy....Thanks for all your assistance!!

Great that we have a a willing and helpful community!

Keith