ad: ProAudio-1

LNR Precision Kickstarter Project

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N4CCB, Apr 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4CCB

N4CCB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone on the QRP Reflector posted a link to this new Kickstarter Project. I'm sharing it here in the hopes that others might see it.

LNR Precision (makers of Par EndFedz antennas, QRP transceivers, etc.) has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for purchasing "...fabrication equipment to produce HIGH volume products in USA to lower unit costs and decrease shipping times to customers."

As a big fan of LNR Precision products, I think this is a worthy endeavor.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1808436450/ham-amateur-radio-qrp-transceiver-manufacturing-an

Cliff (N4CCB)

2. N5DUX

N5DUX Ham Member QRZ Page

LNR, I love you. I really do. I thoroughly enjoy what I've got from you, but this is not how Kickstarter works.

Kickstarter Rule #1: Projects must create something to share with others.
    Customizing products in order to raise funds for the rest of the business doesn't really fit into that rule, IMHO.

Put a PayPal donate button on your website, let people chip in an extra $5-10 here or there. Sell these special radios, shirts and swag on the website. Pens, "Rite in the Rain" field logbooks, shirts, caps, wire winders, SOTA supplies - these are all things you can sell on the website and keep in a box in the corner of the garage and ship out as needed - easy to take and sell at hamfests too.

edit: Oh, and ham doesn't need caps. :)

W8SPL, KA0HCP and KU7PDX like this.
  3. K7FLE

K7FLE Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't this what loans are for?

5. K7FLE

K7FLE Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to pay back a loan.

6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

(shrug)
    It's a well protected way for folks that want to chip in a few bucks with a chance that the end-product will:
    Cost less.
    Become more available.

Hope they pull in enuf to make a difference, but I wouldn't hold your breath....

7. KD4VJP

KD4VJP Ham Member QRZ Page

#USAGoneWild2016

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If people will send me donations I'll send them a personalized Thank You note sealed by my dog licking the flap on the envelope.:)

KN3O and WA8FOZ like this.
  9. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe - what kind of dog?

;)

73 de Ray ..._ ._

10. KD4RDS

KD4RDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone confirmed this actually "is" LNR trying to do this as opposed to someone trying to run a quick scam using LNR"s name, etc.??

Suspicions like this used to be pretty ludicrous, but not anymore. Stranger things have happened.

If it is them, I'd have to suggest a loan like every other business would have to do.

11. KD4RDS

I just sent LNR a message via their "contact us" function on their website asking if this is legit.
    When I get an answer, I'll post it.

12. SA3BOW

SA3BOW Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea of crowdfunding stuff, new ideas and what not. I have even put money in Kickstarter projects and will continue to do so.
    But once a company has started to fly it does not need, or should not need, a kick start any more. So, in this case, I think crowdfunding
    is not the right way to go.
    Dejan
    SA3BOW

13. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

14. KB0DD

KB0DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is great to be didactic, it makes us feel fantastic! At this very moment, I'm heading to my shack where ever it is today to rag chew at full throttle 100W or beat on a straight key for a while to ease my stress caused by LNR's breach of all that is Kickstart righteous. Seriously though, I do understand the spirit of the previous comments. But assuming the story is legitimate, LNR seems to be taking advantage of an available funding tool to provide better service to we "artists" of hamology. I doubt that a bank today would loan them money for what they want to do because it is likely that their EBITDA is anemic. After all, they are making amateur radio stuff in a niche market within a niche market. To improve their EBITDA, they need to cut costs, in this case by bringing production in-house. To do that, they need money. To get money from a bank, they need to be making more money than they are now. You see the point. It is really really hard to get money for something like this from a traditional source. So they have to be as creative as they can and deserve a thumbs up for fighting it out. May the Kickstart gods be with them!

15. KD4RDS

Here is a "copy and paste" of the actual response I received to this query. Wish I'd saved a copy of my actual question/s to them, but it was basically is this legit.

Hi Barney,

Yes, completely legit. As you probably are aware we are a small company of 4 employees and utilize temporary and PT staff during seasonal times.

We are financially strong and proud of how we have grown the company over our past 5 years. We have been approached by investment firms but choose to maintain 100% ownership of our company. As we look to aggressively ramp up production on our transceivers and hire staff to shorten production times, that costs money. As we look to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for raw materials, we are looking for creative ways to raise some of these costs.

It's all good and no cause of concern. Thanks!

Ryan, LNR