ad: QSKLLC-1

LNR LD-5 and signalink

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N2ELI, Feb 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2ELI

N2ELI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey fellow QRP'rs.. Just wondering if anyone has experience using a LD-5 with a signalink?
    If so can you share your intel?
    While I have you anyone else have the problem that the keyer is poop? Mine can not form a k with two touches. It will always replay a dit on the end.
    N2ELI

2. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

No idea about the signalink, but does the extra dit go away of you switch keyer modes? I don't recall which one does it but one of the CW modes sends an extra character after you let go.

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Stop blaming the keyer. Practice practice, practice.

Like N6MST indicated, you might have the keyer in the wrong mode (A/B) for the movements that you are trying to use.

Using the letter "K", as in your post, with Iambic mode A, if you release both paddles during the final "dah", the keyer will stop. With Iambic mode B, if you release both paddles during the final "dah" the keyer would finish with a "dit". So the difference between the two modes is only obvious when you release the paddles simultaneously. If you released the "dit" paddle as soon as the "dit", in the letter "K" is produced, the keyer should stop after the final "dah". But you need to remember to release one paddle early.

Doing either one of these modes takes practice.

It is not required to use either of the Iambic modes. You can simply treat the key as if it was a single paddle, as opposed to a dual. I got my first keyer, with Iambic modes, almost 40 years ago and carefully researched Iambic keying. I found that, while Iambic keying can reduce the number of movements required to send certain characters, it will also greatly increase the number of errors. IMHO, accurate keying far outweighs the movements saved.

4. N2ELI

While I do thank you for the criticism, and the encouragement to practice, as I stated I was looking for help with signalink. Or anyone who has
    had issues with the keyer not working properly. I have no problems keying my FT-891 at about 20wpm on mode b with no extra dit. While on my LD-5
    I can hold my Dah paddle down and tap the dit once.. and then let it dah dah dah dah dah.. when I let go it dits.. I may not have 40 years of CW under my
    belt, but to me this is not normal. I have just resigned to as you said trat it like a single paddle which as you also stated seems like the more efficient method anyway.

If anyone does end up having advice on the LD-5 and Signalink I will be very much in your debt for any help.
    N2ELI

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. K7MEM

Actually, I have 54 years of CW under my belt. That was only the time when I obtained a keyer. Before I got the keyer, I used a straight key.

That sounds just like Iambic Mode B should operate. And is probably why Iambic mode B is not often used.

You are basing your assumptions on the fact that your FT-891 does not do what you describe, in mode B. While the FT-891 has a mode A, B and Y, none of them are Iambic modes. Yeasu lists them as Elekey-A, B and Y and does not say these are Iambic modes. They are just modes that their keyer operates as. They are similar to Iambic modes, but not quite the same.

Have you tried switching to Iambic mode A in the keyer? How does that mode respond?

I don't understand. Why do you need a Signalink with the LD-5?

I see at least two versions of the LD-5. The newest version shows a Line IN/OUT jack and cable. The older version does not. So if you are doing digital modes, all you should need is the audio cable, that the newer manual describes.

Which version do you have? If you have the older version, can you send it back to the manufacturer for an upgrade? Or, can you get a schematic and install the upgrade yourself.

You can certainly use the microphone and speaker audio to operate digital modes. I do that on older radios that don't have accessory ports or extra audio access. If all you need is a easy way to get the audio to/from your computer, a Rigblaster Nomic and a USB to Serial Port Converter cable. This gives you isolated audio In/Out ports. The converter cable is really only needed for PTT. Your rig interface should be able to handle that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think a CW only rig would be rather limited in digital modes, other than CW.

7. K7MEM

You would be right, except that, the rig in question, LD-5, is CW/SSB. It's really quite a nice radio.

8. N2ELI

Now we have some dialog going.
    I was not aware that Yaesu keyers were different, thank you for the education. I am still not sure though that something is not fishy with it because my LNR MTR3lcd keyer function just the same as my FT-891.
    If I am not mistaken which I very well could be, the MTR uses an Iambic b keyer. I have experimented with the A keyer a bit, but find it even more foreign. I seem to end up not having a component sound.
    If I use my bencher as a single it seems to work fine on mode b. I think I will just stay there until I get a single paddle. Also I tried putting it on strait key and turning my Bencher on its side and using it as
    a strait key and had much fun with it. Still use strait key ever? Have any suggestions for getting involved?

My LD-5 is # 208 build August of last year. Has the most recent firm. and has the line in/out and cable. I will be using a Raspberry pi as the pc so I still need a sound card. I have a signalink usb and do not have
    much funds to devote to this the side track in my hobby. CW being my primary interest. I am still a bit of a novice at CW but have a couple of dozen QSO's under my belt, with several DX contacts! The CW bug
    bit hard. My first Elmer K2MMW Bill taught me the alphabet over the local 2m machine while keying his mic and running his Bug. Many many fond memories.

Thanks for the help.
    P.S.
    Any advice on moving forward with CW other than the aforementioned practice practice practice? Or advice on what to practice?

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oooops I was thinking of the MTR5. Sorry.

10. K1ZBT

K1ZBT Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty amusing