Living on the boat, how to keep the ham hobby going?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K4ROO, Nov 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... In salt water, correct?

I doubt anything really makes a difference in fresh water.

2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Could not hurt and if your hit by lightning it can help.

I have to add I have friends that put their vertical in the center of freshwater ponds and they swear by them.

3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

If they think it helps, maybe that's enough... Can't really be sure without objective data.

A friend swears the mud from the koi pond does wonders when spread over the radials in his (dry) lawn. Ok.

5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a few companies which sell compounds similar to salt for improving the conductivity of ground rods to the soil below. Fresh water is not the same as distilled, because there are typically more ions. While the explanation about ions might not be known at most swimming pool supply stores, folks who sell acid for replacement in automotive batteries will tell you about the difference between tap water and most distilled water. Now consider that most of the central part of the U.S. has water which contains a certain amount of calcium and iron ( these occur naturally - and often are not filtered out ). While the conductivity is seldom as good as salt water, fresh water does conduct electricity better than sand. period. Thus a counterpoise on a boat in fresh water does make a difference, especially in the case of a static surge or lightning.

6. K4ROO

K4ROO Ham Member QRZ Page

One step closer! Wife got it for me for our anniversary. Time for antennas…

Attached Files:

7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds kind fishy to me.

8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly... Soil, sand, gravel, clay - they are all pretty good insulators when dry - when you run a NEC calculation and tell it what kind of ground to calculate for, you are effectively telling it what density of fresh water to take into account in the calculation. Anyone who thinks that fresh water does not conduct should try standing in a full bath tub while holding a hair dryer - well, not really! :)

Martin (G8FXC)

KB0MNM likes this.