living in Portugal using CT/

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by M3UKF, Feb 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. M3UKF

M3UKF Ham Member QRZ Page

not sure how long i am allowed to use CT/ in front of my call sign the locals say its not a problem but as i only come over to UK twice a year now with my mobile do i need to change anything? have not used my HF set up since 2017 due to the fires here but new antenna now so would like to get back on. My main contact here is a friend CT1EMD who lives near me. Any assistance with this would be appreciated.
    many years ago (1973) i worked A4XFD (ex serviceman)

2. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

3. 2E0WMG

Your UK foundation licence does not permit you to operate in Portugal.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/51296/fkm.pdf

4. 2E0WMG

Also worth a mention, I note that you held a licence in Oman but I take it this is no longer in force. According to the RSGB World Licensing & Operating Directory you need to be resident in Oman to hold an Omani licence so it looks like operating in Portugal somehow under reciprocal arrangements via this route is not an option for you either.

I should also say, only a full/advanced UK licensee can operate in Portugal under the CEPT agreement, so that rules out intermediate (2E) licence holders from doing so.

5. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

Intermediates can operate from some European countries under a CEPT Novice licence and have been able to for years , because the UK foundation level is set so low its doubtful many would allow it ? and perhaps even less would respond to a cq call from an M3/ but it needs checking with the Country concerned . Screenshot_2020-03-03 Amateur radio guidance - amateur_radio_licence_guidance_for_licensees pdf.png

6. M3UKF

M3UKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info, I will have to speak with the locals and find out about a CT licence. When I asked in 2008 ANACOM said it was not a problem but maybe there was a problem with understanding the translation.