ad: SDRKits-1

Little Print Shop!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4PG, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They often had samples of QSL cards to your mailbox before your ticket arrived!! I got my novice license in July 1970 and a couple of days later I got samples of QSLs in the mail from them.

I heard of instances where folks got the QSL samples in the mail before their license!

Don't guess this happens today.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

We always got stuff from Little Print Shop and Russprint, who is still around, about 1-2 weeks before we got our licenses back in the seventies. At least we were sure we had passed the test then! You couldn't operate till it was in your hand though. Little Print Shop and Russprint were the two congratulatory QSL card companies. I bet that they sold many a QSL order by being the first one in the door, literally!
    Back then photo QSL cards were not the norm as they are now. They were very expensive to print. I used to order from C. Fritz in Scottsdale AZ. They were the highest quality cards of any I have ever seen but pretty expensive by todays standards. You would pay about $40 for 200 cards in "rainbow colors". There were A LOT of QSL card printers that advertised in the QST classifieds. Now only a few. [​IMG]

3. N5NPO

N5NPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Weren't those the guys from Flugerville or Phlugerville Texas? What ever happend to them? I got my first set of QSL cards from them in the late 80's!

4. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Although Russprint is still around, I don't think it's the original owner anymore.

Samcards is long gone. Sam became a SK about 8-10 years ago. He used to be a "line walker" for Duquesne Light -- he once told me his job consisted of literally walking the right of ways to observe potential problems and report them in (if he did more than that, he never said) and did the QSL printing in his basement evenings and weekends.

Never did hear what happened to the Little Print Shop. Don't recall much mention of them after the CB craze ended.

5. K3UD

K3UD Guest

I remember getting the QSLs from Little Print Shop a few weeks before I got my license. I also remember getting a catalog from a local ham radio distributer (Hamburger's In Wyncote PA).

I ended up getting my QSLs from Brownie (W3CJI in Reading PA.) I still have his cut catalog that ran 12 pages.

George
    K3UD

6. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have one of my novice cards (WN3WQB) from Little Print Shop from 1973. I'm glad I saved one. I found it in a drawer of old junk.

Edit: There were a bunch of choices. I got the one of the drawing (primitive graphics) of the Earth with a tower on it. Even though I was in Maryland, the tower sticks up in California.

7. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I still have at least one around here from when I moved to MD. It has my Call letters in Gold, the outline of the State of MD in Silver, and of course the vital information on the back in black. Using shiny ink for both the gold and silver, it still would be rather difficult to produce today. It couldn't be done on a typical inkjet printer! They certainly were nice! The whole QSL card thing has gotten to be a rather expensive facit of the hobby. What is the price hike for 1st class expected to go up to on the next go around ? [​IMG]

73, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ! Jim

8. AB7KT

AB7KT Guest

Anybody got any advice on buying QSL cards now ?

I took about 5-6 years off of ham radio and just got back into it. I am getting QSL cards in the mail and requests for QSL cards and I don't have any to send back.

I used to buy the cheap cards from a guy that I know is still in business because I still see his ads: W4 something or other. I will probably get some from him initally because I can just use one of his stock designs and get them quickly. I would like to get a really nice QSL card that someone would enjoy getting but have never bought something like that before.

Any tips, advice, shameless plugs ?

And, to stay on topic, I remember getting those cards in the mail before my Novice ticket arrived. I was first licensed in 1979 and getting your ticket meant getting put on more than one mailing list. But, I enjoyed getting the stuff and looking at it. I didn't have any money to buy any of it, but looking was fun also.

9. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

The Little Print Shop is how I found out what my call - that didn't arrive from FCC for a few more weeks - would be. Russprint wasn't far behind.

I couldn't afford cards. I drew my own on index cards as needed. I wish I still had one of those around!

10. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was first licensed I bought 300 QSL cards from Russprint. I still have about 200 of them left. [​IMG]

I've gone to creating and printing my own using Open Office Impress. I can print two cards on heavy paper and cut them out using a paper cutter. This method allows me to change the card as I see fit and make small runs for special occasions.

I recall getting some sample cards way back then (1983), but none with my call on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.