ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Little Mtn, WA short hike & 2m activation - Trying out Icom V86 for first time...

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by WA7JNJ, May 28, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7JNJ

WA7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Short hike to a a local summit (Little Mtn W7W/SK-173), and tried out the Icom V86 for the first time. I've used the Yaesu FT70 and FT3D for the last few years, and wanted to try out a quality lower priced HT for SOTA. Like that it is 7w, quality build, with long battery life. The screen is smaller, and can't put full repeater names in memory (only 5 digits), but I wasn't too concerned about this. The power button is smaller, but the MON button for changing squelch is also small and a little awkward to change squelch up/down (you have to hold down MON button and then press up/down). Have tried on a few summits now, and overall like the simplicity, quality, 7w option. For another low cost SOTA radio, I'm hearing 2 local activators are using and liking the Yaesu 4X and 65...and will have to try soon. 73, James WA7JNJ

KD7KTV and KI4POT like this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Your terrain and trails look a lot like what we have out here in the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Chris

WA7JNJ likes this.