ad: KC0Wad-1

Lithium for the masses?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KX4O, May 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped by an auto parts place for a quart of oil this morning where my gaze fell upon these on the shelves...

The reviews aren't spectacular, but more investigation yields progress on the Lithium battery front as in this example...

The progress I speak of appears to be advancements in internal battery management systems facilitating the ability to just wire these things into the usual vehicular power system without concerns of overcharge and other Lithium no nos many of us have become accustomed to. Goof proof?

Question:
    Are we nearing a time when a nice light Lithium based battery designed for the abusive world of vehicle power systems might be an option for a secondary battery powering our, say, 100-200 watt HF mobile rig in the back of the cabin space?​

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The major drawback is cost. And I'm a bit leery of the "battery protection circuity" in secondary-market products, and so is the NHTSA. That is not to say Li-Ions won't replace lead acids as they already are. However, those have rather sophisticated battery monitoring systems. It remains to be seen if these do.

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh....That kinda lithium....I thought you meant......Nevermind...
    Ymmv

KX4O likes this.
  4. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I know... I thought that too when I first made the title.

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

When the major automakers start using lithium for most car starting batteries, they'll either have the issues solved or we'll know about it in a hurry.

We're not there yet, but we'll get there eventually. The weight of a lead battery is a significant penalty to gas mileage, and the automakers make great efforts to improve those numbers.

KX4O likes this.
  6. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Good points, Thanks.

I'd sure like a much lighter "projectile" inside the passenger cabin and lithium is the great hope in time. For me there is one large advantage to Pb batteries... I know them... I understand them... I respect them... I trust them. Lead-acid is the devil you know. We'll get there with Lithium and maybe sooner than later. Exciting times.

7. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been powering rigs off of Lithium type batteries about 2 years, it's a crap shoot how long they last. Alan is right about the COST, they're basically a luxury - unless an AGM won't work because of weight or size. I have GO Kits with 4 12ah AGMs, it runs an IC-7000, weighing in at over 50lbs... too heavy! My compact GO Kit is a K2 with a 12ah Lithium battery, which will run for days.
    The biggest PLUS of a Lithium is the voltage hangs in there during discharge - but, when they finally discharge, it's a sudden death... at very inconvenient times.
    The biggest PLUS for a AGM is how much abuse they can take, and they're CHEAP and plentiful and SAFER than anything else. (you need a battery booster for it, to keep the voltage to the radio UP over 12vdc.)

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

What does "AGM" stand for?

9. AE5Z

AE5Z Ham Member QRZ Page