ad: elecraft

Listen.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Mar 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How come CW ops always forget to add the band they are calling on? On phone you always hear CQ 20 CQ 20 CQ 20 ....

CW ops forget this part !

WR2E likes this.
  2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always heard that, understood what it meant, and used it as well (will use it again, if/when I get on cw again)

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always thought that was funny. I've even heard it on 146.52. Good thing or else how would I have known what band/frequency I was on.;)

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like it when ops on FM identify their listening frequency, like "Listening 52."

By contrast, I announce "listening somewhere, please guess.":)

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Shrug. It's always been obvious to me.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  6. WD4IGX

I always thought it was stupid on phone. Even more so on CW.

Like, what, I don't know what band I'm listening to? It may have made some sense in the days of poorly harmonic suppressed transmitters and regenerative receivers. Now? Not so much.

7. WD4IGX

Because people work split on FM??

N2EY likes this.
  8. WD4IGX

Maybe this is regional. I've ALWAYS understood it as "is the frequency in use?"

Shrug. We all have better things to do than argue about such operating minutia.

9. WD4IGX

And that is the point. Maybe it was more common in the days when LOTS of QSOs were held at 10-15 wpm (one reason I've not been back on CW, want to, but day-um people fly these days. I was at 25 but that was two decades ago and haven't touched it since...) If there IS a QSO going on and the station inquiring just can't hear the side transmitting now, but COULD hear the one listening, and vice-versa, "QRL?" just stomped all over the transmitting station they can't hear. ? alone is far less intrusive.

10. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder why anyone would call CQ 20 or 40 or 75, is there any mystery on what band one is on? I like to call CQ 75 on 20 as hams cannot wait to correct me, which gets a contact started. Also when I hear "is anyone using this frequency" I say it is being repaired, the sad part is some hams believe it.

NQ8J likes this.