Listen.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Mar 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's fine on a repeater on FM (or, I presume, digital voice - never actually tried that.) Usually it's "WD4IGX monitoring" but just throwing out the call sign is standard in some areas, or at least accepted and understood. I'm not saying you shouldn't but "CQ" is generally not used on repeaters, at least ones I've been on or listened to.

But this is the straight key forum for CW enthusiasts, after all. :D

2. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

In some CW situations it's the preferred response. Check the SOTA reflector, and you'll find activators pleading for CW chasers to respond to their calls by sending just a callsign, once, and once only. It keeps the length of time after a call when the activator's just hearing a mush of many callsigns short. The activator can then get on with whittling down the pile-up. When you're at the top of a chilly mountain, keeping it short and efficient is important.

3. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not at all obvious and I started in 1972. It’s not that difficult to follow proper procedure.

4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was taught to say, "K1OIK listening." Hams rarely reprimand.

KC9YGN likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's acceptable also, and have used VHF-FM repeaters since the late 1960s, and owned several over the decades.

Locally I hear hams calling CQ on simplex, like 146.52. That's perfectly acceptable also, and probably better than just a "callsign," which is so brief it's easy to miss.

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Problem with a "?" and nothing else is nobody listening has any idea what it means. I usually figure it's a station responding to another station who I cannot hear so I turn the dial.

KQ9J likes this.
  7. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, I like your call...

It isn't difficult to follow proper procedure, but who sets the standard? Or if there was a standard, was it always the best way?

I do like "?" instead of "QRL?" Seems like it would be less interfering, and I think (uh oh...) everyone knows what an isolated "?" means, whether or not they think it is an acceptable practice.

K1OIK and WD4IGX like this.
  8. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

"?" is far less annoying to someone in a qso than "QRL?" If I'm in QSO when someone sends "?", I can just send "yes" or, more properly, "QRL", without missing too much of what the other guy is saying. I know, it's only a few characters less than "QRL?", but with QSB and at 20 wpm, it can mean the difference in hearing your RST for example.

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe bad form, I'll let the forum decide; but I somethings send "?" if I hear a CQ, miss the call, and see that nobody is responding.
    The result is the OP sending the CQ will immediately send another CQ; often just a 1x1 or 1x2 and I come back to them.

WD4IGX and W5BIB like this.
  10. KO4CCC

KO4CCC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve heard that too, usually in the more rural parts of the state in my experience (which is admittedly more limited than many).

I wasn’t correcting you or anyone else btw, I find little nuances like this fascinating.

To be a little more on-topic, when I re-licensed a few weeks ago it was primarily to dive into CW which I enjoyed but didn’t fully appreciate in the past. I was worried about having to learn the code again but it’s pretty much still there, it’s all those darned Q codes and abbreviations that are kicking my butt now!