Listen.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Mar 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

You know this means "calling anyone anywhere but just those who I , specifically want, can answer. "

2. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

True, but if nobody is specified, or a geographical area isn't specified, etc., how are we supposed to know if we're the station he wants to answer?

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KN means I ain't calling him. So does "CQ SKCC" -- I ain't calling him, either.

4. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

It just occurred to me that the most brief ("briefest" is, I think, not a word)
    method for nabbing a QSO may be simply to leave out the "CQ."

For example "de KE6EE K." Or even "KE6EE K."

Completely minimal. What else could it mean besides "let's chat?" Send at intervals of a couple of seconds.
    Listen in between.

I am going to try it sometime soon.

Maybe.

5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't know... that's the whole point. There's NOTHING supposition about Morse code...
    It could mean "Testing" for all I know.... Well, go ahead and try it... Doubtful I will answer...
    Why not at least add QRV at the end. That says you are on here and you ready for action... That's not vague at all...

6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have no idea what you were doing. It surely isn't calling CQ. I would spin the dial so as not to QRM you but I surely would not answer since you aren't calling :rolleyes:

It is just as dumb as sending a solitary question mark and expecting an answer. The tried and true method which everyone recognizes (3X3 followed by a K) works well and there is no need to change it.

"de KE6EE K" sounds like you are answering somebody I can't hear. Since you already are answering some other station, I will also spin the dial.

KJ4RZZ and N8AFT like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^I agree. If I heard that I'd figure the same thing and never call.

During contests, some CW ops (I've done this myself) leave out the CQ but make the intention clear: WB2WIK TEST.

"Test" during a contest is just short for "contest" and doesn't imply you're testing anything.

But that really only works well if I already have a running frequency and have been working one after another right there. WB2WIK TEST means I'm open for other contest replies; it only works in certain situations.

What bugs me about a lot of DXpedition ops and also some contest ops is they figure everyone knows who they are so they only identify every now and then. To make the next contact, they just send "QRZ" and that's it. I've heard some do this for 10-15-20 contacts in a row, without a single ID.

That's become fairly common practice but I think it's a very poor practice.

N8GZ, WD4IGX, W4LJ and 1 other person like this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Until such a time when we are fluently doing mental telepathy instead of radiotelegraphy we will need to
    stick to the standard operating protocols and procedures...
    That way we ALL understand what the other party is trying to communicate... ;)

WN1MB and N2EY like this.
  9. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I generally only call CQ when I'm away from home, and I'm not a QRQ operator. If I used a 3X3 pattern then I'd be transmitting at my usual speed for the best part of two minutes (or more if I'm using 5Z4/M0LEP/P) before I got to that "K" at the end, so I generally use a 1X2 call with pauses between calls that are long enough for me to hear an answer if there is one. At least that way folks get a chance to answer me more than once every two minutes.

Seems to me "CQ" is quite the most recognisble CW word out there. Many folk who don't know any much Morse can still recognise "CQ" for what it is. Twice in a call is plenty. Callsigns, however, need to be noted correctly, so need sending at least twice. The "K" at the end is helpful, but only if you do actually stop sending and listen. I, for one, am not going to reply until I hear that "K" and then at least a hint of empty air. Sure, folks who're quicker at replying will get in first. I'm not usually in a hurry.

10. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

On the same point, “de” may be second in familiarity to “CQ”. It’s so much easier for me to pick out a callsign with the “de” placed in front of it.

WW2PT likes this.