Listen.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Mar 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Everywhere you look there are posts about not being a real amateur radio operator unless you operate CW, and not with a keyboard. I can see how newcomers to the mode can be intimidated by the expectations - "Do it right or don't do it at all." "Why don't you operate CW?"

All of the points mentioned here are valid and represent a refined operating style, but with a thin line between helpful guidance and condemnation, it can take tremendous care to improve the quality of the mode among those who want to enjoy it and are learning. Is anyone actually not learning?

And, for those who are offered guidance, it's better to hear it once, improve, and move on than to lose contacts and see your callsign show up in these forums.

W2BTK, KF5KWO, OH1BOR and 5 others like this.
  2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I think that is intended to replace the arduous task of sending "QRL?". I use "QRL?" once, wait a few seconds, and send it again. If I get no objections, I start my CQ.

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

sigh. I'm just glad they're using CW!
    Geesh, are we so uptight that we can't handle differences in operation.

Just a couple possibilities though - perhaps the guy call [CQ + Callsign] was just trying to get signal reports from Reverse Beacon? More than likely the guys who you consider too wordy are using a keyboard to send? When i am operating remotely and KB-sent CW is my only option, i tend to forget to use abbreviations. I guess that makes me somewhat of a lesser CW op, eh? I'll be sure to look for you on the air as an example of how to be a real CW op :rolleyes:

WD4IGX, WD0BCT, N8AFT and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've always sent CQ CQ CQ KC9YGN KC9YCN K, repeat once, then listen. If no response after a half minute or so, send the sequence again. Doesn't matter. People still won't talk to me (weeps bitter tears of disappointment). But if someone leaves that final "K" off, what's the big deal? You know they've stopped and are waiting because they've, well, stopped. And if someone wants to be wordy instead of using abbreviations or Q codes, so what? At least they're on the air. A waste of time? Who cares? Like WF4W said we should be glad they're at least out there trying to contact people.

AC0GT likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why won't people talk to you?

Do you mean nobody answers your CQs?

Have you looked yourself up on the RBN to see if any of the skimmers are receiving your signal?

And it's silly to not use the "K" after a CQ...no way for others to know if:
    • You died while sending CQ
    • The band dropped out and we lost you entirely before you finished
    • Your transmitter stopped working...
    • Etc.
    A CQ always ends with a "K." Not an AR, not a KN, but simply a K.

WD4IGX and N2OTG like this.
  6. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was trying to be humorous (and obviously failing, alas) I was showing up on the RBN:
    KM3T-2 [​IMG] KC9YGN 7113.0 CW CQ 11 dB 13 wpm KM3T [​IMG] KC9YGN 7113.0 CW CQ 11 dB 13 wpm WZ7I [​IMG] KC9YGN 7113.0 CW CQ 28 dB 13 wpm K1TTT [​IMG] KC9YGN 7113.0 CW CQ 18 dB 13 wpm W3OA [​IMG] KC9YGN 7113.0 CW CQ 15 dB 13 wpm W3UA [​IMG] KC9YGN 7113.0 CW CQ 12 dB 13 wpm W1NT-6 [​IMG] KC9YGN 7112.9 CW CQ 14 dB 13 wpm KO7SS [​IMG] KC9YGN
    Not enough patience on my part I suppose. If I'd dialed around and spent more time at it I'd probably have hooked someone.

The whole K thing - the point I'm trying to make is that I don't care if they use Q codes or the "proper" abbreviations or prosigns, I'll still talk to people and won't complain about it. I'm just glad they're out there trying.

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU HAVE MY VOTE FOR THE WINNER!

N7BKV likes this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Answering With a Bare Callsign ?
    I hate it when I finish a CQ series (with a "K" of course) and I hear a callsign sent with nothing else......Especially on the higher freq bands with big skip zpnes I wonder if the callsign is sent to someone else I can"t hear? due to Long skip zones ?? Who is this callsign sender calling ? maybe he i s workiing split to bust a pileup up the band ? I have always expected to hear a reply to my CQ start with MY CALL followed by the callers call (DE XX#XX K). otherwise I just call CQ one more time.
    Lately it seems the bare callsign is becoming popular, Maybe ok in a Contest or a DX pileup but for just answering a casual CQ !!!!!!!!

KJ4RT and N8AFT like this.
  9. N8AFT

I have to agree! I work LOTS of guys who are evidently old enough to make mistakes, exibit poor sending and some age old bad habits.
    I do know of a couple who do not use any AR BT or K at end. I've worked them before and it's just their style and I play along and we hv fun.
    If there would be ONE thing that irks me more than anythin else is the guys who send a Looong E and send a Loooong N for / instead of an R
    at their turn to reply... E N is hardly a K.
    I have no qualms about keybd users, most are handicapped.

N2OTG likes this.
  10. N8AFT

I LITERALLY REFUSE TO ANSWER SOMEONE DOING SUCH... USUALLY THEY ARE TAILENDING ME...
    THEY ARE PERSISTANT THOUGH...