Listen.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Mar 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just on 40CW and had a few nice ragchews but was saddened to still hear ops (evidently newbies, or possibly even OTs just getting back) who actually don't even know how to call CQ.

AD9Y, that's you. Of course, many others. But AD9Y had a very good signal here and called CQ by sending CQ then his callsign about six times, and that was that. No "K," no way to tell when he was finished and listening.

I heard four stations calling him (besides myself, since I did, also) and he called CQ again -- same way, with no "K."

C'mon. Do some listening.:p

Since I've been pretty active on CW lately and prefer ragchews to quick "59 73" contacts, I also hear a lot of words that are needless. Why send, "PLS REPEAT YOUR NAME AND QTH" when "QSM AA RST" says the same thing and uses a whole lot fewer characters, taking far less time?

Learn some Q signals.:rolleyes:

There's no cash prize for solid copy, and this is a hobby. 99.9+% of all ham comms are not emergency traffic and it doesn't have to be exact or accurate; but why waste time? QSB is bad enough.

Do some listening.:)

N2OTG, WD4ELG and N2AMM like this.
  2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thing that's fairly common is calling CQ about 12 times, followed by 3 call signs, and 12 more CQ's....

I was licensed in the mid-90's, and was taught "3x3x3". 3 CQ's followed by 3 call signs, then wait. If no answer, try again, two more times. If no answer after that, time to move on. I still do it that way, even when I'm operating QRP.

N5ABI and K0UO like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've done 3x3 times 2 since FOREVER. Doing it THREE times just seemed tedious

What drives me nuts is the CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ de W7*** CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ K

Or the QRZ QRZ QRZ QRZ W7*** and nothing after that

Dave
    W7UUU

N5ABI, N6MST, M0LEP and 1 other person like this.
  4. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe the 'K' didn't work on his keyboard

AB7Q, KJ4RZZ, WN1MB and 7 others like this.
  5. W4LJ

W4LJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or send: name? es QTH?
    Yep, 3X3 (2 times) is the time honored way followed by a K.

6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The thing that drives me nuts is the question mark...di di dah dah di dit. It seems every time I tune across the band, I hear an isolated question mark.

Operator, I have NO way of knowing WHY you are sending the question mark. Have you previously called CQ and are trying to pull a replying station out of the noise? Are you trying to find out if the frequency is in use? What are you trying to accomplish?

QRL? once or twice followed by a 3X3 CQ ending with a K. Seems so simple. And if I hear somebody transmit CQ a dozen times before sending a callsign I will not be hanging around to have a QSO. Life is too short :p

US7IGN likes this.
  7. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thing I've seen is people in constant pileup mode-just send their call once with no CQ or K. It could be mid-day on a weekday when you know there's no contest going.

I have always done 3x2 CQ. That's what I heard most when I was starting out.

8. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

How 'bout the ones who send a CQ followed by KN instead of K? Or the ones who send QRL without the question mark before calling CQ?

W9EBE likes this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah... IMMEDIATELY calling CQ obviously without even listening for any reply.

To them it seems that QRL means "Lookout! here I come, ready or not!"

N2OTG likes this.
  10. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I spend most of my operating time hunting DX, don’t think I’ve called CQ in 30 years outside of a contest. I’m no CW virtuoso, but what I hear in the pileups makes me turn off the radio sometimes. I wish more new ops would read “The Complete DXer,” or at least Chapter 2 of “Low Band DXing.”

But at least there are folks trying CW. I’d rather hear poor CW ops than no CW ops.

W1BR, AC0GT and W9WQA like this.