List of V/U radios that cross band repeat?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KB7NRN, Aug 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Please, explain to me how you can transmit on one band and receive on the other with a 440 single band radio.

Cross band capable means the ability to switch from one band to the other when the PTT is pushed.

2. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I can set the FTM-400 to 144.52 on one VFO and 446.050 on the other, then power it up in cross band repeat mode. I can then take my UHF HT out to walk my dog. If I key my HT, the FTM-400 receives my HT on UHF, then transmits my audio on VHF. When I unkey, the '400 stops transmitting. If someone on 2m transmits, it receives them, then transmits their audio on UHF. I then hear them on my UHF HT. I think you are thinking of Full Duplex operation, which is another thing all together.

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotcha, thanks!

4. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hadn't checked this thread in a couple days... Didn't notice it got some posts. Thanks for the response guys.
    I'm looking real hard at the Kenwood TM-71A. I like that it can be remotely controlled.

I'm also putting together a low power cross band repeater using a pair of commercial Kenwood HTs. It will be remotely controlled too.

Yes, HEAT is the killer for all electronics so a single radio in cross band repeater mode can over heat fast. Using two mono band radios helps and cut the duty cycle in half and this is the idea behind using two HTs, plus I already have them. Just ordered one of those Chinese cross band repeater controllers with cables.

5. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the FTM-400 send CW ID out the 70cm port? If not, FCC violation.
    The normal hack is to switch to the VHF input and ID on low power, which is why people are questioning monoband handheld use here

6. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I only tested the feature to see if digital would work (it doesn't). I was just explaining how it works. You should probably ask Yaesu about that.

7. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Wouldn't the FTM-400 effectively be an auxiliary station when in cross-band repeat mode? Then spaeking one's call on the "input" side should suffice. One could add "operating cross-band" or some such to be complete.

8. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It might be considered an auxiliary station. But it must still ID itself on all frequencies that it transmits on. When the user speaks his ID on the UHF side and the crossband repeater retransmits that on VHF, that part is OK. But when a transmission comes in from the VHF repeater and is retransmitted on UHF, that transmission is required to be ID'd with the ID of the crossband repeater's control operator.

There are further requirements -- the control operator must be able to shut the station off via his control link at any time, and if the control link ever fails, the station must automatically shut itself off after 3 minutes. The ARRL explains these and other issues here:

http://www.arrl.org/auxiliary-station-faq

Click on the section: "How can I legally make my VHF/UHF station into a crossband repeater?"

KB0MNM likes this.
  9. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

The Kenwood TM-V71A has CW ID on both bands when in crossband repeat mode.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have them on a repeater frequency, And people let the repeater drop, The TOT gets reset.

Duty cycle is normally 3 minutes on and maybe 3 seconds off Max, Just listening to a repeater.