List of V/U radios that cross band repeat?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KB7NRN, Aug 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering if any one has put together a list of dual band V/U radios (mobile or HT) that cross band repeat? Cross banding was a sales feature about 20 years ago. Still useful though not many models have this feature anymore.

2. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think all of the YAESU, KENWOOD, ICOM and BAOFENG FM Dual Band Handhelds and Mobiles do crossband.:eek:

3. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

The FTM-400 does. Just program frequencies for each band on the A and B VFO's, turn it off, then turn it on with DISP, F, and GM buttons held down. They route the signal through the de-emphasis/pre-emphasis filters so it will NOT pass C4FM, only analog FM. I tried this and C4FM didn't work! Seems to work good for analog though. It would be nice to have a bent pipe mode that would pass C4FM, GMSK, etc. without messing it up.

4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they don't.
    As far as I know any mobile radio that will allow operation on both bands at the same time does allow for cross band repeat operation. The Yaesu ft-8000, 8100, 8800, 8900, FTM-350, FTM-400 all do. The Icom IC-2340, 2350, 2700, 2710, 2720, 2730, 2820 all do. The Kenwood TM-732, 733, 7A, 71A, all do.
    Some dual band radios only allow for 1 band at a time. These would at least include: Icom 207 and 208, Yaesu 7800, 7900 and FTM-100, Kenwood G707. There are many others but these DO NOT allow for cross band repeat.
    As for HTs I know the Yaesu FT-530 does. Otherwise I'm not sure.
    The best thing to do is look up the specs. on Universal Radio.com. They keep all the specs for all the radios, discontinued or not.

K0UO, K4WK and N6WJA like this.
  5. KD4UPL

Also, I think all of the Alinco dual banders will cross band repeat: 600, 605, 610, 620, 735, etc. I don't think they've ever made a one-band-at-a-time dual band rig.

K0UO likes this.
  6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Crossband capable" is not the same as "Crossband repeat".

You need crossband capable H'T's to utilize a crossband repeater, which will usually be a mobile radio.

KB0MNM likes this.
  7. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TM-D700a ( & maybe TM-D710 ) as a crossband repeater with Yaesu FT-51r ( not in current production ), yet remember to properly I.D. and have provision for the mobile to be shut down on a frequency above 220 Mhz. I wish that I still had both of these- wish in one hand, spit in the other, see which fills up first. I have bigger priorities lately. 73.

K0UO likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The better question is what radios will repeat without overheating.

Many radios do not last very long.

100% duty cycle is a must when a repeater is concerned.

Keep it cool.

K0UO and AD5KO like this.
  9. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what 'time out timers' are for. They limit the duty cycle.

10. KD4UPL

Duty cycle is a good point. I've used 2 Icom 2340 rigs and 1 Icom 2350 rig in extensive cross band repeat operation. Sometimes the rig is transmitting almost continuously for over an hour. I've never had any problems with the radios due to heat. I sold one of the 2340s after having owned it for 21 years. It still had full output power and worked fine in cross-band repeat. The Kenwood TM-71A has a non-defeatable 3 minute time out timer in cross-band mode. For me that's a deal breaker. I tried that with my TS-2000 on an ARES net. The guys on the net wouldn't let the squelch tail drop for anything. The radio kept hitting the 3 minute mark and timing-out. In my opinion totally unusable for a busy net situation. If you were on simplex or had people who left some space between transmissions it might work out okay.
    I'm not sure why K8MHZ is saying you must have a cross-band capable hand held. I typical use a 440 mono-band handheld, the Alinco DJ-S41. These are very small and rugged, they use AA batteries, and have a folding antenna. They have survived many years being carried around on work sites all day. I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-257 mono-band HT. It's a littler larger and fancier but puts out more power.

K0UO likes this.