List of QRP CW rigs

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N0FN, Feb 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah I found this also but I'm not sure how current it is. The MTR looks outdated and refers to an ATS support forum. The ATS transceiver certainly looks similar to a MTR. I wonder if ATS is currently marketing an MTR clone or if this is an outdated rig?

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WD0BCT

It was a guess on my part. But the Ukraine is not too distant.
    I have had very good experience with Ukrainian built rifle sights made for vintage rifles. Most of the vintage gun collectors here in the states that use them still call them "Russian". We should know that the Ukraine is not Russia today. But at our age certain things have been engraved in our brains.
    Thanks for the UR5FYG call sign. His web page identifies his group behind QRPver.

4. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

The original Mountain Topper Radio (MTR) was basically an evolution of the Appalachian Trail Sprint (ATS) series of radios designed and kitted by THE man, Steven Weber KD1JV. The support forum that the wiki page references is the old ATS Yahoo group that Steve ran. It supported the ATS, MTR, as well as a bunch of Steve's other designs. The group recently made the jump to groups.io and is not hard to find. The wiki page is indeed outdated. There are now THREE radios in the MTR line-up, all being sold by LNR Precision. There is the MTR3B (40, 30, and 20 meters), the MTR4B (80, 40, 30, 20), and the MTR5B (40, 30, 20, 17, 15) and they are wonderful little pieces of technology.

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

(Ed) Charlie, if you are really interested, I can talk to him on the phone tomorrow and find out more.

WD0BCT likes this.
  6. WD0BCT

I can contact him myself...thanks for the link!

7. WD0BCT

Ahhhh....that makes sense. I was unaware of the history. I have recently purchased the MTR3B and really like it. Backpacking season is almost here and I plan to use it a lot! One thing that has amazed me is how quickly I got away from using a rotary dial....up and down in steps makes a lot more sense....I've transferred that MO over to my FTDX3000.

8. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my KX2 but find myself regretting the decision to sell my 3B. Might have to get another one :)

WD0BCT likes this.
  9. KR4IS

KR4IS Ham Member QRZ Page

My first radio as a 15yr old..cut grass,baby sat ,270 dollars as I recall..as novice in 70s 80s I've got maybe 6 logbook full of cw novice qso..WAS,WAC,placed 3rd in a va qso party. 5wts qrpp..used a pencil to fine tune,lol

10. W8EJO

W8EJO Ham Member QRZ Page