List of QRP CW rigs

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N0FN, Feb 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes sense!

2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks! we owe ya!

N0FN likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't see the MFJ-92xx (9200 or 9296) 80/40/30/20/17/15, via swapped band modules. P/O 5+ watts
    RX current draw <40 mA. Mine has a MDS of less than 0.2 microvolts. Hot RX to say the least.

4. N6MST

You can't buy a 9200 new any longer.

KL7KN likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not include many from the past..even 40-50 years ago?

Many were as good as or better than some of the popular ones today.
    The MFJ 9015 to 9040 are simply copies of the RadioKit QRP series from the 80-90's and PCB's are still available.

Carl

6. N0FN

N0FN Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. That was one of the sad things I saw when updating the list this time. I know that pluggable band modules can be fiddly and easy to lose/break, but for minimum weight operating, you're not going to be on more than 2 or 3 bands, so why carry the filter components for every one?

-Neil N0FN

7. N0FN

N0FN Ham Member QRZ Page

I started my particular list (CW, frequency agile, kits or better) for two main reasons. (1) When I wanted to buy a QRP CW radio, I kept getting suggestions that I should choose this great radio that another ham loved, but I couldn't get one because I wasn't around 10 years ago when they were for sale. I'd love to have a Wilderness Radio Sierra, but that company is now out of business, so it isn't very helpful to tell an eager new ham that he should go buy one. The same applies to boards or schematics that make use of parts that are NLA. (2) Lots of newer hams are asking the same questions on this forum and others. I hope that pointing them to a resource that stays up-to-date will help them make good choices.

Certainly an omnibus list of all the QRP CW radios that have ever been sold would be helpful for people who want to buy on the used market, but that's a substantial undertaking that I'm not interested in. If you'd like to start your own Google doc, I'd be glad to help. :)

-Neil N0FN

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest you are rather narrow minded as the Internet and hamfests are full of the older models and if a newcomer saw one it would help to have an idea of what he was looking at.
    "Eager New Hams" are not necessarily the major buyers of QRP gear either.

You have it 180 degrees out. Since you are already producing a list it should be no problem having an addendum with many others helping. I prefer operating with vintage equipment going as far back as 1931. I have no interest in a rig on a chip concept requiring minimal to none skills.

Carl
    9 Band 160-10 QRP DXCC ++

9. N6MST

So Carl, since you have made it clear you think Neil's list is not good enough, when should we expect to see your full and complete document detailing every QRP rig since the 1920's? If it is so easy to compile the info you should have no trouble doing it yourself, right?

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

So besides a serious reading comprehension problem what else do you have to offer? Maybe you should consider studying to upgrade beyond General or something else useful. I would guess you are incapable of helping with my suggested addendum.

Carl