Linux users: What logging program do you use?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K4NYA, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W1JQ

W1JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There's my contest logger, JL. http://www.qsl.net/w1jq/ Written in Java, and runs on Linux, though I haven't set up javax.comm to get rig control and CW keying working. (Would appreciate it if someone would do that and let me know how it works.) Supports all major contests, lots of minor ones, and has a tolerable (though not great) general purpose logging mode. Import and export via Cabrillo *only* (I've made a Cabrillo variation for general purpose logging); I have a simple ruby script to convert cabrillo to ADIF, though I haven't included that with the package on qsl.net.

The downside is that I'm not developing it that actively. And that it's sort of a pain to set up. And if you want general-purpose logging (as opposed to contest logging), there are probably better solutions.

2. K2ADK

K2ADK Ham Member QRZ Page

Skip Ubuntu. 10, 11, 12.1, 12.10...it drove me crazy trying to keep up with the semi-annual updates. I have Linux Mint now, and it is also based on Debian, so should be familiar to any Ubuntu user. But Mint comes with everything installed. Everything works. I've not had a problem in over 16 months with this system. That said, CQRLOG is amazing. It integrates with LotW, eQSL easily. It's as good as any program I've seen running in Windows.

3. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I only use the LTS (long-term support) versions of Xubuntu (without that stupid Unity interface and broken Gnome).
    But I may very well try Mint someday. I've heard a lot of people praise it lately.

4. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or just simply switch to something rock solid, been around for many many more years than any Ubuntu version or variants and simply works. openSUSE 12.3 with KDE 4.10 takes the cake (again :) ).

5. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried SUSE (and a number of other Linux distros) several times in the past, and an older version was installed on an old Pentium III 450 MHz machine here for several years. However, every time we have tried openSUSE since then, I just do not like the newer versions we've installed. I prefer the Gnome or XFCE desktop over KDE, and Xubuntu has been working great for me on my shack computer.

But thanks for the suggestion. To each his own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.