Linux users: What logging program do you use?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K4NYA, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5SOQ

KF5SOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

For contests, I run N1MM logger with WINE. It seems to work well. You have to install jt40 (if I recall correctly) using winetricks to make the program work, though.

2. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have any issues with serial ports and Wine? I've never had them work.

3. KF5SOQ

KF5SOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't tried that, no.

4. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used Xlog for many years. Anything I enter in my Fldigi log automatically copies over. Does the job for me. I never tried any of the rig control functions, though. Provides award tracking, beam headings, lookups, enough to keep me happy. But I don't make many demands, either. I think my wife likes that, too :)

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have always used CrossOver which is the paid version of WINE and have never had problems with serial ports. However, even CrossOver doesn't give you direct access to the serial ports; you need to create a symlink to the port in question.

In CrossOver, which should be similar to the way WINE works, here's what you do.

In your home directory, cd .cxoffice/<BOTTLENAME>/dosdevices >>>> <BOTTLENAME> is whatever name you gave your bottle.

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 com1 >>>> replace "ttyUSB1" with the system name of your port, found in the /dev directory

Restart the program and you should be good to go. You can link multiple ports (COM1, 2, 3 each to different system devices) if you want

Hope this helps someone.

Dave
    K3DCW

6. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hate to be a nit picker but it is important that people understand this. There is no paid version of Wine. Wine is licenses under the LGPL.
    Crossover is charging for the packaging and the installation routines. But Wine itself is free software (as in freedom).

73 Mike (the nit picker :) )

7. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

True, Mike. WINE is indeed LGPL and Crossover does indeed charge for the support, the packaging, etc. Furthermore, supporting Crossover helps pay for developers that then work to improve WINE's support for programs and features; and these improvements then make it into the WINE code. I have found that Crossover tends to be a BIT more stable and forgiving compared to WINE, but other than that, there isn't a huge difference between the two. I believe in supporting the development, so that's why I choose to pay for Crossover.

Dave
    K3DCW

8. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that is absolutely great and perfect. That's why I mentioned free as in Freedom (and not as in free beer). And I think
    it's often one of the misconceptions people have about FLOSS that one has to work for free.

I haven't used Crossover in a long time as I don't use Windows software under Linux.

73 Mike

9. K3DCW

Exactly! "FREE" software isn't free for the developer. Many people forget that FLOSS doesn't eliminate basic economics.

73, Mike!

Dave
    K3DCW

10. AD4SA

AD4SA Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone been able to get N3FJP's software (amateur contact log 3.3) to work? I tried running it in wine but it crashes as soon as it opens. I've seen where others have had the same problem but no solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.