Linux Peppermint 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4JDH, Apr 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

That's good to know.

Over the past 10 years, at least, USB to serial adapters on Debian and derivatives have been assigned names /dev/ttyUSB0 and counting upward. If there is only one adapter things are rather easy. More than one of the same type attached to the system is when the fun begins!

2. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the suggestions. They sound like the instructions I have for Mint. If Peppermint works like Mint then my instructions should be fine. I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and play. What I have done is allow "fldigi" to decode for the last three days. I think my setup is very stable. I didn't have this before even with Win7 or Mint.

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

You can also use group or groups command (I forget which) to add an existing user to the dialout group. The root user, and main sudo user will already be added to the dialout group by default.

The thing I love (and hate) about linux is it’s incredibly simple. I’ve been running different varieties of it since the mid 90s. Everything is a text file in a sense, and all the software from the kernel out, runs hierarchical, based on simple rules, and config lists. When there’s an issue, it’s very easy to see what the cause was, (at least where) but the fix is going to take some digging around, reading manuals, asking others, and sometimes just trying different things until everything jives.

/var/log is a great place to read up on the various fails taking place across your system.

4. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been compiling and running flrig and fldigi (Debian Linux) for a number of years. You might also sudo to the superuser, then issue a 'dmesg' command. You'll see USB device information there.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How old is your computer ?

Does it have enough power to run something better than Peppermint ?

6. K4JDH

This one is nearly an abacus. The sticker says 2009. If Peppermint will run "fldigi" I will be pleased. It has been decoding since Monday. Previously this PC would have crashed.

I worked on chores today. The business end of a pressure washer is tough on this old body. Tomorrow I will play in the shack. Thanks.

N0NB likes this.
  7. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps one or more of the ham radio specific distributions is set up that way. Mainline Debian or Ubuntu are not in my experience.

That's a good way to look at it. Also, there are many paths in a given Linux distribution that will get a person to the same destination. The range of choice is at once astounding, bewildering, exhilarating, and humbling. It is so much like amateur radio in that sense.

Of course, there are distributions that aim to limit the choice to some carefully selected set of packages. No harm in that at all as there is still a choice of distributions.

For systems running systemd, the journalctl utility is very useful. Most of that ends up in /var/log in various files (on Debian, at least). Using journalctl results in highlighting of various parts and having the logged info collated in one place. The -f option lets you follow the log output in a terminal which is handy.

8. K4JDH

Problem solved! I dug out the old restore disks from 2009. I now have Win7 running with Airlink Express fully functional. I may take the service packs but for now, I am good.