[Linux] Looking For How To Guide For Qtel

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KJ7QNP, Mar 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KJ7QNP

KJ7QNP Ham Member QRZ Page

Linux - Ubuntu
    Hi I was looking through the software center and found Qtel which is an EchoLink client, are there any guides how to get started, or does anyone have a better suggestion for an Linux EchoLink program?

2. DM2VV

DM2VV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

imho sm0svx's qtel is the only option atm

3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Which Linux distro are you using?

Do you only want a PC client or do you want to set up a node for a simplex link or repeater?

Qtel is a GUI front end for svxlink-server. They aren't well documented except for the man pages. Qtel works but some of the GUI elements might not. It doesn't have all the features that EchoLink does.

If you just want a PC client then install qtel and it should pull the few dependencies like svxlink-server. The GUI and menus should be self explanatory. The only real documentation is the man page. If you are familiar with Linux then you should know about man pages and how to view them.

As far as I know that is the only option for EchoLink unless you want to install WINE and try to install the Windows EchoLink client. This week the EchoLink software was updated and it no longer installs properly on WINE, at least on my system.

4. KJ7QNP

I am using Ubuntu, well Kubuntu,.... I am 100% new to EchoLink, I just found out they want me to fax them my licensee, not a big deal, just did not know I would need to jump though hoops. I have talked to a few EchoLink users that was connected to one of my local KBARA repeaters, today I just heard a large net meeting on a different repeater that was international, heard someone from Australia, I did not participate, I think I will next week.

Getting on EchoLink might be fun.

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, apparently now you have to send them a copy of your license to get authorization and create a password.

If all you want is to work EchoLink with your PC then qtel should work just fine on Kubuntu.

I found some more info on qtel.
    https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki/QtelUserDocs

6. KJ7QNP

I might send in my license, not in a big hurry, I have a fax machine so it would be no time lost.
    Thank you Tom, that is great, I am surprised I did not find a Youtube video.