ad: ProAudio-1

Linux and Yaesu CAT control.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VE3GZB, Jul 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

The shutdown and bootup portion probably weren't strictly necessary but it does show that it will work in the future when a system restart is required.

Any time a group change is made for a user account that user needs to log out and back in at a minimum for the changes to take effect. It might seem that this could be made dynamic but there is a lot of authentication that goes on behind the scenes with PAM (not the cooking spray) when the user logs in that making it dynamic is probably a rather hard problem with open files and various running processes.

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I could have changed /dev/ttyUSB0 permissions back to default 660 before I logged out and then logged back in. But I wanted to make sure *everything* was back to default by shutting down and turning back on. After all, it's not like it's a server with other people relying on it being up 24/7. And, yes, it showed it would still work from a cold start.

3. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave up on trying to make Linux behave on this little netbook for ham radio and sold it yesterday.

I went and bought another netbook, one with Windows 7 already installed. WSJT-X is now fully controllable with no funky driver issues and I don't need anything more than Windows 7 to make it run.

It's a shame that drivers remain a big problem with Linux distros, just as they did over 10 years ago.

73s.

4. KB1MCT

KB1MCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have been banging my head against the wall dealing with trying to get a rigblaster/ft857d combo to work on both Ubuntu and Mint. Tried all kinds of tricks, nothing will work. Ended up just going back to Windows 10, where everything just works.

5. KK4GGL

KK4GGL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ended up just going back to Windows 10, where everything just works.

ahah ahaha ahh ah hahahahaha hsah ahhah ah a...
    Oh, you were serious?
    ahah ahaha ahh ah hahahahaha hsah ahhah ah a

Sorry :)

6. KK4GGL

I haven't followed the whole thread.
    I have a 991a, an OpenSuse desktop and a Opensuse/windows 7 laptop.
    I had no problems what so ever with my IC-718. Using one specific USB A/B cable I have no problem with my laptop. There is something dicey going on with my desktop since lightning hit.
    Only the one USB cable works. I have a couple TrippLite that don't work.. Using a USB extender doesn't work, either. I don't think the problem is with the Linux drivers. I believe the problem is with the 991a.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  7. KK4GGL

moderators please delete this.