Linux "alternative" to "Ham Radio Deluxe"?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA5LQJ, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Na,

If I gotta run a windows proggy - I run Windows. B'sides - boss man owns that PC as well as dictates the ticketing and email software used. His dime - no prob.

Everything I wanna do on my time, got it covered FB.

2. KE5SCY

KE5SCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Note: Windows has and will ALWAYS run faster in VirtualBox. Linux=real memory management.
    Try running vmware or virtualpc on Windows and using linux in the VM. It is slower. I think you get the point.

In reality most linux developers are being paid. I believe the last number I saw was 70%. If you did a bit of reading then you would know this.

Canonical may not be contributing a bunch of code but they are contributing to the popularity of linux more than any other distro. They are also making a big push to make linux easier to use for newbies. Mark himself has talked to multiple hardware vendors and helped linux out a lot. The whole code issue was brought about by a Suse devel, and I think he's just jealous of Ubuntu's popularity. It happens.

I do agree with you that there are too many distros available.

3. KE7VZW

KE7VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree, you'd have to hold your breath for years. Having seen how 10 years has brought sparse window managers like xwm, fvwm and such into today's ubuntus, vm's and passable desktop experiences WITH apps (openoffice, gimp, etc.); it will be another 5-10 years before Linux desktop experience is a seamless and enjoyable transition to general users.

Once parity is reached, however, it's over for Windows. Look at what the past decade has brought in advances to Linux desktop environment. I used to have to fight to even put sparse X-less hosts in the data center back in the mid to late nineties (v. NT 3.51 (which actually wasn't too shabby); now it's in every data center and touted by Big Blue, Novell and others.

The Desktop revolution is the next logical step, and it IS coming. Give it 5-10 to reach parity and overtake.

Linux App developers may not be as well compensated in most cases as MS, but they have even more of a reason to write svelte, secure code: technical peer review at the cost of being publicly ridiculed for writing sloppy code. Don't underestimate that..... Also, key developers always get picked up somewhere for real money....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it is possible for two programs to share the same rig with Hamlib. One needs to start the rpcrigd daemon, adjust the rig model accordingly and have at it. Once upon a time I ran Xlog and gMFSK in such a manner.

Now there is rigctld in development which is centered around the network paradigm and uses test on a UDP port for its transactions. Programs using rigctld no longer have to be linked to Hamlib. It is still in development and should be useful for authors of "scripting language" programs written in the likes of Python or Perl.

5. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not any mentioned in this post, but I do use Morse Runner with Wine and the ARRL Handbook/Antenna Book software with Wine as well as the W5YI VEC exam generation software.

6. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

As for desktops, I came to the conclusion in 2005 during an A+ certification course that Debian plus KDE 3.4.x blew XP so far out of the water that few pieces ever came back down. In the mean time, KDE has only gotten better up through 3.5.10 and XP? Well, XP is a stagnant old puddle of scum. ;)

KDE rocks.

I had the misfortune of having to work with MS Excel again today. Talk about torture! I can make OOo Calc run rings around it and I'm not a spreadsheet expert by any means. MS is not the best, it's not even third rate. It's a shoddy beta at best brought to the world via a convenient monopoly.

7. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N5EVD

N5EVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Shackbox for hams?

Check out Shackbox.. http://shackbox.net/

The goal of Shackbox is to provide for hamradio operator, the most complete toolbox based on a linux live cd (Ubuntu based)

Billy. N5EVD :)

9. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Billy - I have it downloading now. It will be interesting to see how it works.... Who knows - I might just have a linux box.

Thanks for the link.

73 de Ken H>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.