Linux "alternative" to "Ham Radio Deluxe"?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA5LQJ, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NF9L

NF9L Ham Member QRZ Page

That's strange . . . Apple must like Intel. Saw this on the Apple website:

Now every new Mac ships with an Intel processor. Experience delightful responsiveness from the smallest Mac mini to the most beefed-up Mac Pro. Use one of more than 7,000 universal applications that take full advantage of the Intel chip. Run programs from your PowerPC-based Mac in translation. Powered by Intel chips, your new Mac will do all those things that only Macs can do — and do so at an astonishing level of performance.

2. K4AVL

K4AVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamlib is a back end with support for a lot of rigs under Linux, but is not a user interface in itself. On this page, part of the hamlib sourceforge project, it shows some end-user apps that will interface with it.
    I have more Linux boxes than Windows, but I use XP over by the rig, and haven't tried any of this. If anyone has some good reviews and/or drawbacks they have encountered, I'd like to read more about experiences with these apps.

http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/app.html

3. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with RDN, if the app you need runs well in Windows just use Windows. I don't understand this on going dislike for MS based products that some people seem to have. Windows is used by about 90% of the computers in the world, live with it. I am not a poster boy for Bill Gates but facts are facts. Since I work with computers for a living I do try to keep up with other OS's and have tried to use various Lynix operating systems. Yea, some of them work OK if you play and tweek them but they still don't do as good as Windows. If you just can't stand the thought of contributing to Bill Gates fortune get a Mac.

Just like the ham I was listening to on 2 meters the other day that was telling someone else he still used DOS 6.1. Since I haven't heard anyone talking about using DOS in a while I broke in and ask why he used DOS. I assumed he had some old program what would only run on DOS. This was not he case. He told me he just didn't like Windows and wouldn't use it. I suspect he had learned on DOS and because of being set in his ways refuses to change but I could be wrong.

5. K4AVL

K4AVL Ham Member QRZ Page

In response to my own question above, I've been playing with some Linux ham apps this week and there are some good ones, but nothing on the scale of HRD. For digital modes, fldigi works fine and even has some rudimentary rig control. The latest beta (not in the current Ubuntu but I tried it on debian sid) has a window where it will decode the text of several QSO's simultaneously in a window. GRig works fine for a rudimentary CAT tuner, but any of these apps (even on windows) won't play together at the same time for a serial cat cable.
    For Echolink, I haven't figured out how to get echolinux working yet, but QTel works fine as a client, connects easily and looks similar to the Windows client, although it doesn't nearly have all the GUI bells & whistles. I haven't gotten the server part to run, as it was written for Fedora Core and their init system is different. The client though, as mentioned, works fine, just used alien on the rpm's and it ran without a hitch.
    There is a larger availability of simpler apps like loggers, satellite prediction, mappers & so forth, but no all-inclusive application like HRD.
    I ran across a good telnet type app too (specialized for DXCluster), but can't recall which one.
    My club has shown some interest in IRLP for its repeater, but this only runs on Linux rather than the other way around, has anyone used this, and what is the verdict? The software is not available on the web to test, you have to buy a special board and the CD comes with it.

6. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is because M$ is just a "PRIZE IN A BOX OF CRACKERJACKS" - If it weren't on the machine to begin with the numbers would be a lot lower. Beside that, MOST of those "stuck with it" don't even know there IS anything else. So the only reason M$ SEEMS to be "#1" is that it is "FORCED" on everyone.

I find no more tweaking than I do with M$ & on the SAME MACHINE it actually RUNS BETTER & FASTER!!! (also cleaner - less crap & NO viruses) --- MAC? You gotta be kidding!! You'll pay a LOT more & get a LOT less, there. (just compare prices) The ONLY thing Mac has worth a **** is the OS & THAT is so proprietary that it loses on THAT alone!!! And don't even THINK about trying to open one without a cutting torch.

7. KE5SCY

KE5SCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree. I would like to see what happens if you actually give consumers a choice. Even go as far as having the sales people try to sell the other operating systems like linux as much as they do vista. Point out the advantages of each one. I think the world would be a different place if people were actually given knowledge that they have the freedom of choice.

Eventually I'm going to get a rig that I can use with my computer. That will be fun. By that time though the necessary programs will be completely developed so I'll just be able to plug it in and it works :)

8. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Na, just their special 'case tool' and the secret handshake. I work on Macs and apples (repair center) more often than I'd like. They're different - that's for sure. Not at all impossible to open - if you know how. "They shore do look purdy" too.

But for all the 'advantages' of Mac and the Mac OS offer - I get almost the same using my *nix distro of choice. I just have to do the part Apple does for you - ensure the hardware I buy will run the software/OS I choose. And I don't need the case tool or hand sanitizer either.

Have to admit - having done "many dozens" of Mac, Windows and *nix installs these past few months - the *nix installs have gone the easiest and with the least hassle.

Macs go well - once all the hardware is perfect and you've isolated the correct flavor of the right install of the right version disks.

Windows installs? Well, we all know what those can be like - go find the drivers, download, copy, install, add software, add software, install, tweek, BSOD - re-boot - do it all over again.....

I'm amazed at how easy the *nix installs have become. Slap the CD/DVD in it, power on, click a few things, go get a cuppa - come back, it's done and ready to go. Nothing more to add - no drivers to find/download, goes in production - now.

9. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Pssssst, SPLAT! is a propagation prediction program.

HRD is a software suite for the ham shack. It includes rig control, software/modem modes, imaging, logging, DX spots, satellite tracking, and I dunno what all else - it's HUGE, powerful, very popular and also free. But is by no means just a propagation prediction tool.

You'd be more accurate comparing SPLAT! to Radio Mobile Deluxe (http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html) - not HRD.

10. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why I gave up Linux and switched back to Windows

I had both Linux and Windows on my shack PC but I used Linux and less and less and eventually dumped it.

I found the GUI (KDE) clunky and unrefined compared to Windows. It's a complete myth that Linux runs faster than Windows. I have it on a laptop with 2GB of memory and have XP running in a VM under VirtualBox with 512MB of memory and Windows in the VM actually starts up in less time and responds quicker than its Linux host does. It's also a myth that Linux is more stable. Firefox and the file manager crash or freeze more often than Firefox and Windows Explorer do under Windows.

But the big killer is that there is so little really good software for Linux, both for ham radio or generally. Such software as there is is really second rate compared to the Windows alternatives. Even Open Office is a second rate clone of MS Office, even if it is still good enough for most people's purposes. But do you always want to be using second best?

I don't particularly like HRD, but many people do, and there is just no equivalent. Fldigi is as good a datamode program as there is, but it's available for Windows too now. Ironically Windows users can get the latest version as soon as it is made available whereas Linux users have to wait until appears in their distro's repository (if it does) or try to compile it for themselves. Who needs the hassle of compiling software in order to use it? A lot of Linux programs these days use all kinds of obscure development libraries and "configure, make, make install" often doesn't do it.

How many really good Linux contest loggers are there, compared to Windows? Where are the Linux equivalents of DX Atlas, Faros, CW Skimmer. How do you run K1JT's WSJT or WSPR if you run Linux - these programs are a nightmare to compile? I tried QTel as an EchoLink replacement but it isn't a patch on the real Windows version. You can run that under wine, but once you start finding that you're running Windows software under wine most of the time, you have to ask the question why you don't just run Windows?

How do you run one of the USB sound card interfaces (e.g. SignalLink) for which there are no drivers for Linux. The same goes for many other radio accessories, like the antenna analyzer I recently bought. They all come with support software for Windows, not Linux.

I have come to the conclusion that people who choose to run Linux just like making things difficult for themselves. With Windows I can just get the software, install it in a few seconds and get on with using it. Linux just makes everything so much harder.

Life's too short for Linux!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.