ad: GNOHF-1

Link ATV video signal to other repeaters?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by K3RW, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I sat in on the W6CX weekly next a little over a week ago and asked a few questions about their digital ATV setup. Its an impressive combination of analog and digital inputs that run through their repeater, to FM digital outputs. And even better, they are working on internet linking to their repeaters much the same way I was pondering. I'm not sure how far along that process is.

It seems the repeater we'd have here would need an analog and digital component on the receive end, similar to how W6CX does it. But to internet link it, they were planning to use a Grandview box to encode the stream. Beyond that, I'm a little sparse on the details but it seems that's at least a good hint.

I've seen different encoder/decoder devices online. Not sure exactly what this one does vs that one, but if I have it right, I think it would be something like:
    • Camera streams into the encoder box
    • Code streams across the internet to the repeater
    • Repeater has a decoder on it and can pickup that stream
    If this was done right, I'd think that someone running just a camera to an encoder could send it over the internet, same as if they had an ATV transmitter. Question I can't seem to answer is:
    • What is the bandwidth requirement for streaming TV/video -- in terms of the internet connection?
    • Is it possible to use a lower bandwidth stream on a system that normally uses a higher bandwidth? (compress/de-compress?)
    Imagine if you could open a program/application, and using a webcam (adjusted to the right streaming bandwidth, bitrate, etc.) that you could connect to repeater X, just as if you had fired up an ATV unit and pointed a beam at it. And the recipients could reply back on RF, or even back on the same program. That's what I'd like to see. Something like Skype for amateur television, but more like Echolink.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is compressed using a Codec, The Codec determines the compression and data rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

K3RW likes this.
  3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

At this point, the repeater has no connection, but we're pondering putting up a second repeater in a location (perhaps at my QTH) where it would.

What kind of bandwidth would be necessary for TV support?

Only thought I had on that is if using a smaller bandwidth stream--slower framerate/bitrate/etc., a much slower internet connection on a remote place would be easier to support. It might be challenging to get high speed internet to a remote hilltop. Would be simple for me to run a router on a ethernet cable to something in the backyard, but it would never get the height above ground to be competitive.